Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    I am King, everything is possible. King Grimes's Avatar
    Threads
    Mentioned
    742 Post(s)
    Level

Do you think the writers write the women improperly?

It seems to me that most of the women on The Walking Dead are subject to extreme views one way or another. Either they're said to be completely useless or over-the-top badass...or unrealistically oversexualized. Where's the in-between? Where's the average woman who doesn't just do laundry or kill a bunch of walkers? Where are the decent mothers? Do they not exist in the world of The Walking Dead?

It's been said that there are no women written like the average person. I get that they want to have some sort of dynamic with the women, weak and strong, but it's just black and white. There's never a grey area. None of the personalities, aside from maybe Carol's and Lori's have been 100% believable.

Where do you stand on this issue. Are you satisfied with how the female characters are portrayed?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    606 Post(s)
    Level
    They are written decently, not amazing but decent.

You keep comparing all of them to you, you aren't the only women in the world. There are plenty of people like Carol (and I've known some) there are plenty of women like Lori & Maggie as well.

Andrea & Michonne are pretty unrealistic though.

Have we seen any decent mothers? no, because we've only seen 2 (Carol & Lori), Maggie & Beth's mom is dead but from what I can tell she was a decent mother (Hershel was the bad one back in the day) as far as fighting goes: Maggie, Andrea & Michonne fight, and you'd never catch Andrea or Michonne doing laundry. Carol & Beth do most of the cooking and cleaning while the others are out hunting and looking for supplies because lets be honest Carol might be able to go out there and shoot a deer, but Daryl is simply better at it. Glenn is better at looking for supplies, Rick is the best leader. You send Carol out there and theres a chance she won't come back or it'll take a whole lot longer. They do the roles they are best at. I think Donna in the comic was complaining about that and Lori told her it's not sexist it's realistic.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Level
    The only woman written incorrectly is the baby. It's not crying enough and we all know newborns never shut the hell up. Personally, I find Maggie to be right in the middle.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Level
    The only bad written character on the show is Hershel. So damn inconsistence. First, he talks about all the years he's been sober, but in the next:

Busted, Hershel!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    I agree the women are written poorly, it's like the writers for this show are a bunch of men who write how they think women are, and not how women actually are. Then again when it comes to character development I think the writers have done a piss poor job with almost everyone besides Rick and Daryl. The three seasons have been very bipolar, and I think the writers need to find a middle ground between action and development.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    606 Post(s)
    Level
    I don't think any of them are written poorly or unrealistic (cept Andrea) I just think they are written to be unlikable.

Unlikable doesn't equal poorly written. I think they intentionally wanted Lori to suck, they wanted people to sympathize with Rick, I just don't think they expected everyone to HATE her that much. I don't think they wrote Andrea's current story thinking people were gonna be behind her at all, they know she's dumb.

Every person is different and has a different personality, not everyone can be perfect. And in this world of course they are all over the place.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    I'm a woman, and I find every single woman on this show to be decently-written.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Taryn View Post
    I'm honestly starting to believe the only people who think the women aren't written poorly are people who aren't women themselves. They don't know how NORMAL women behave so they can't see the annoying faults in all of these characters that aren't normal for women.

I don't give a damn about what anyone wants to say about the dynamic of each character, you're more than likely NOT going to have any weak people lying around, 10 months after the ZA started, unless you have a place like Woodbury.

ITA....especially with the bolded part....

I'm starting to think Mazarra & company hate women.... I agree with your assessment of all the women... From day one, they've been written as either 50's housewives (Carol/Lori), nasty bitches who are just plain stupid (Andrea), over the top sex crazed idiots Maggie/Carol (with her inappropriate jokes), or just dimwits who serve no purpose Beth....

I disagree that Carol is like a normal woman, because she is far from it... They painted her as too much of a victim, so much so you just can't sympathize with her... or I can't at least...... Sure, they gave her a free pass, endless excuses and this season she can handle a gun, play doctor, and make inappropriate sexual advances disguises as jokes to someone she treats like her kid.... Carol may have been beaten by Ed, but not given her even the tiniest backbone in regards to Sophia was BS...not to mention, not having her show guilt for SOphia or Andrea....BS

As someone who was abused as a child, watched my mother be beatened down & broken, Carol is way overthetop victim....That excuse got old the second Sophia was chased by walkers...

Andrea was taking a turn for the better in S2, but now she's just a brainless slut showing off and only concerned about getting laid...She went from protector of the group who had some common sense to this....

Maggie can handle her own, but she also is overthetop in her badassness.....and She's Glen's boss....She took away his balls and refuses to return them... Now, she is betraying the group......to save her lover...instead of caring about the safety of her father/sister...Dumb bitch...

Michonne..... is way too badass...... Sure, she hasn't been on enough to make a complete assesment of her, but she is the female version of Daryl....At least, so far she is...let me see some heart, soul...

Beth????? Why is she still here....too give Carl someone to old to flirt with...

Mazarra doesn't know what a real woman is or how to write for them... he starts off good, then down hill from there...

They need to hire some women writers, get rid of the women characters they have now, replace them with interesting, realistic women....some badass/some soft, not these red hot messes we have now...JMHO

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Taryn View Post
    Ahhh, so the fact that there is no in-between; either it's a pants-wearing broad, tough like a man, or weak as shit woman... they're all written correctly. Because ALL women are like them! Yeah, I don't think so.

I freakin second that...

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    seems to me that your definition of "weak-as-shit woman" is "someone who cooks and does laundry."

and to call andrea a "stupid slut" really just sort of shows that woman can't seem to have sex without being labeled "slut" in your book, but i suppose that's another topic all together.

honestly, every time a female on this show makes mistakes she gets labeled "stupid bitch" by the fandom. i don't think it's the writers who are being sexist, i think it's the fandom.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast