Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. Back To Top    #41
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by thatoneguy View Post
    I'd just like to take this opportunity to thank Glen Mazzara for writing what was probably the most disappointing season I have ever seen of a television show. Period. Its a shame, too, because the season started SO STRONG! With over 40 issues of source material to work with, there is no excuse for what he has done to The Walking Dead. Changing the story for the sake of "being different from the source material" is bullshit, and clearly didn't work out as well as he thought, otherwise the finale wouldn't have been such a mess.

Let's point out some of the logical flaws here:

Tyreese and Sasha's last interaction with Rick left them thinking he was batshit crazy. Why, then, would they trust him with the lives of the remaining Woodburians, regardless of whether Karen stood with him? They only knew Karen as another crazy bitch who was out for blood in The Governor's army, why would they possibly trust the word of a person like that? In fact, why were both Sasha and Tyreese on watch? Who was watching over the civilians?

Let's talk about The Governor. The Governor's turn came completely out of nowhere, and how in the hell do 30 ARMED PEOPLE not turn their guns on him when he starts firing into the crowd? Seriously? Out of 30 PEOPLE, not ONE of them thought to take cover or fire back? Say what you will about Woodburians, but they clearly have no sense of self preservation, which begs the question HOW DID THEY MAKE IT THIS LONG IN THE APOCALYPSE?! I'm glad the The Governor didn't die and is now fully-formed into his comic self, but there's no way in hell that the Governor would gun down his army like that.

I could care less about Martinez and the black dude who didn't say a damn word all season.

Andrea died as useless as she's been all season, instead of saving her to develop into a worthwhile character next season (The comics did it better). Was she just staring at Milton's corpse every time they cut away from that room instead of FOCUSING ON THE TASK AT HAND AND GRABBING THE FUCKING PLIERS (Which, by the way, my friends and I recreated having our hands tied and grabbing pliers with our feet. It took us each like 20 seconds.)? Which also begs the question, HOW HAS SHE LASTED THIS LONG IN THE APOCALYPSE?!

Rick isn't crazy anymore! JOLLY! He shouldn't have been crazy to begin with, it was a stupid plot point that went nowhere, just like I said it would. Sure he struggled to maintain his composure in the face of the Governor's threat, but in the end we've simply gone in a big circle with the character, leaving him exactly where we found him at the beginning of the season: As a competent leader. THAT. ISN'T. CHARACTER. DEVELOPMENT.

And before anybody says "Rick stepped down as the leader because he couldn't handle it, he's definitely not in the same place as the beginning of the season." Who planned the traps for The Governor's people? Who decided who would stay and fight and who would hide with Carl? Who decided to retaliate after the Governor's attack? Who do you think made the call to bring those people back to the prison? Yes, they make decisions as a group now, but the final say is still Rick's at the end of the season.

The only real character development that made any sense was Carl. And this is exactly why the comics are better! Carl has the attitude that EVERY character comes to have the comics: You can't trust people, you can only trust the group you're in, and if they don't have your back, you trust yourself. THAT is how you survive in this world, and Carl knows it. Except CARL SHOULDN'T BE THE ONLY PERSON THAT KNOWS THIS!! And in the comics, he isn't. The Governor said it best: You kill or you die. But that knowledge shouldn't be some grand revelation, and it shouldn't need to be said by the villain. It should be common knowledge. This is a serious world where the smart survive, and the idiots die. Simple as that.

While I'm happy that Glen Mazzara will no longer be the showrunner for The Walking Dead, this season left me with no hope for the show's future. The group dynamic makes no sense at this point, they have way too many characters now for the show to have any coherence (and before you argue, look at how well they've done the past three seasons with such a large cast of characters.), and no matter where they take the show from here, it will not be The Walking Dead. You gave it a good run, AMC, but you can count me out next season unless there's a serial killer among the Woodburians' elderly, Tyreese's character arc is as fucked as it is in the comics, and the Governor comes back as the REAL, fully-formed Governor from the comics that we all know and love, and the tone of the show takes a major, major morbid turn.

END RANT.
    OMG! I can't believe I wasted five minutes of my life on this post!!!!

2. Back To Top    #42
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief cons View Post
    Turning Daryl into Ricks lapdog is a mistake.... The edgy season 1 and 2 Daryl kicked ass.... I still like him... But he shouldn't be a "yes" man....let tyrese be "that guy"
    I'm SOOO with you. Norman has made comments about Merle's death maybe closing him off a bit more like he used to be, we can always hope. I was surprised to see him in a cell later in the season, when he said at first he wouldn't "sleep in no cage". They softened him too quick, too much, too fast. That said he at least spoke out in disagreement (even if he ultimately went along with it) with regard to Michonne's ousting, when he just did the quick and nasty with Randall of his own accord a year before. Maybe they're trying to give Daryl the chance to have more balls, but either you do or you don't, I don't like this squidgy midrange thing.

As disgruntled as many of the hardcore fans are right now, you know they'll be back to see what comes next. We're a passionate fanbase I can say that much... and that includes passionate in both negative and positive reactions. I wasn't very satisfied with the finale but I'm trying my best to temper my public response as to not a) deter new fans from watching or b) affect the writing with retarded comments should the big boys/girls in charge be lurking here (and they could easily be)... the cast has at least made mentions of the fact that fan comments online do tend to drive certain things with the writing although I'm not delusional enough (yet) to think I have a direct effect on the direction of the show. Also, I don't want the cast to come across these (again, very public) posts and be offended... they have done a beautiful job, and I love them all even if I love to hate their characters.

I can say this for sure... they sure put out a polarizing finale. They effectively turned the fandom into a fandemonium, which can only be a good thing in the end even if it's all really just a big pile of smooshy half cocked commentary and opinion. At least people are talking.

3. Back To Top    #43
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Completely agree with everything you said

4. Back To Top    #44
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    606 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahrean View Post
    I can't stand the boards that allow member flaming. I was that type of person back in the 90's and there's a reason I'm not now. That bitch tried to kill me and if I let her out again, I'd probably lose my almost 16 years sobriety from drugs and fuck that.
    Not to rub it in, but I have almost 22 years.

Still, gratsgrats!

5. Back To Top    #45
    Status
    Zombie Hoarder walkingdeadrules's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Level
    I actually really liked the show, though there were a bunch of things that bugged me and I wish were different. I am not even a reader of the GN, but I thought the number of characters that were introduced this year(from the GN) and then killed quickly without any character development was alarming and made you really not care. One of the most glaring ones to me was Allen and Ben. I watched the show with my daughter(16) and her friends, and they didn't even notice Ben got shot! You'd have to be reading boards and paying close attention. When Allen made a comment about his son being killed in the finale they all asked who was that? I mean really? I know these are teenagers who do not have the biggest attention span, but what was the point of the entire interaction with Tyrese and Allen? Why even have them there and give them names? Ben's death in particular it could have been any one. And then, sorry, but as a father, NO reaction from Allen about his son being killed and he leaves his body out there to be eaten by zombies? Ungh. I really thought Ben was going to come to the prison and challenge Carl in some way(for Beth's affections, Ben would go off the deep end in some way or whatever) and Carl would end up killing him. I realize that's a little similar to the GN, but would be an interesting arc. The entire prison group was the same. Tomas was killed in one episode! So was Tiny(how many of you are saying who right now lol). I enjoy the action sequences as much as any one but we need to build an interest in people first. The amount of killing this year really desensitizes you, and when you knock off 4 series regulars/long term characters(lori, T-dog, Merle and Andrea), and only introduce one long termer(michonne) to take their place....you wonder what they're going to do next! I really hope next year we don't have more than one or two of the long time characters perish and more time is spent on character development. I understand this was probably an over reaction to the first half of season 2 being criticized as too slow, but it went the other direction. But ultimately I agree with whoever made the comment that the worst show of TWD is better than most of the crap on TV. All of this is just our venting and hoping it reaches someones ears and means something!

6. Back To Top    #46
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    My only issue really with the finale (after having a few days to process/reflect on it) was based on two simple things

1. The fact that they think they did something new/creative with Andrea and told a good story with a well rounded character.

2. Apparently the good guys (taking a page from the batman/superman stories) don't kill. If you kill someone on this show it was a bad thing that you did and you need to become a better person! (like season 3 Andrea maybe??? lol)

Ok so first lets do number 1. Andrea this year has had no good story. Shes had a lot of story with like 5 good moments in 12 eps she was in. She was the plot device of most season 3. She for some reason needed a boyfriend (even though with Shane even she said she didn't wanna hold hands...his cock maybe but thats it) and she forsakes her only friend (michonne) and stays in woodbury. She has moments of doubt, but not really because it never follows through. She has multiple chances to return to her friends and leave behind the strangers she has known for less than 10 days.

Now that's not even half the Andrea problem with this season (It was also boring and pointless also :) but the biggest problem is as I said they feel they did her character right! What comic character are they going to choose to do right in season 4?? It worries me that they can't say we thought it was good but in retrospect Andrea shoulda just been dead before season 3...Live and learn...not fucking rinse and repeat ya'll:(

Number 2 is I guess an ok stance to take...WHEN there aren't people blowing up your home in hopes to kill you. The scare them away tactic feels forced and so did Carl's decent in darkness (ok no just no) because he killed some boy older than him holding a shotgun that moments ago was there to wipeout team prison. You tried to kill us but no please come to our side...just makes sleeping with both eyes closed an extreme sport of sorts.

Killing is never the good thing and it's never easy but that's how much things have changed. I am not advocating for search kill destroy but if someone only wants your surrender and then asks for a sacrificial lamb then storms your home with 30 people or some such then maybe you need to re-evaluate your stance. There is always going to be another shane but the trick is doing what rick did without shutting down emotionally. Instead open up about how it's not right but it had to be done. Cry if you gotta but this show can't survive with the we don't kill the living mindset...Andrea is perfect example of WHAT NOT TO DO IN ZA...yet others are looking at her sacrifice as a reason to keep trying her way...Save everyone, evryone can be saved...Tell that to Phillips right eye

7. Back To Top    #47
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by thatoneguy View Post
    This has to be the most respectful forum I've ever been a member of. This is highly unusual.
    Respectful? -- Yes and no. Remember how the Governor tricked Andrea into thinking Woodbury was a fine town, all along secretly housing fish tanks full of heads and a dead daughter. Of course, I'm sure you are smarter than the poorly written character Andrea.

8. Back To Top    #48
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Level
    You really recreated that...?

9. Back To Top    #49
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Level
    Hated the finale, thought it sucked on ice, made zero sense on too many fronts and wasted some talented actors in the process. Laurie Holden is a good actress and they totally wasted her on this show. The writing for her character was God awful and I seriously question if these writers have a clue how to write for female characters (it seems to have improved this season) but prior to it, the women were Walker Fodder. Lori, Andrea portrayed as loose women. Carol, Patricia, Beth as weak and needy, Maggie was something from ZA 90210. Yes, over the seasons it got a little better but overall the women characters have not been well written. Everyone was so stoked to see Michonne and mostly what we got last season was scowling and glaring. Now it does seem to have improved this season, let's hope it continues.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345