Forgot your username?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level

After extensive thought on the finale.... (BEWARE: RANTING WITHIN)

I'd just like to take this opportunity to thank Glen Mazzara for writing what was probably the most disappointing season I have ever seen of a television show. Period. Its a shame, too, because the season started SO STRONG! With over 40 issues of source material to work with, there is no excuse for what he has done to The Walking Dead. Changing the story for the sake of "being different from the source material" is bullshit, and clearly didn't work out as well as he thought, otherwise the finale wouldn't have been such a mess.

Let's point out some of the logical flaws here:

Tyreese and Sasha's last interaction with Rick left them thinking he was batshit crazy. Why, then, would they trust him with the lives of the remaining Woodburians, regardless of whether Karen stood with him? They only knew Karen as another crazy bitch who was out for blood in The Governor's army, why would they possibly trust the word of a person like that? In fact, why were both Sasha and Tyreese on watch? Who was watching over the civilians?

Let's talk about The Governor. The Governor's turn came completely out of nowhere, and how in the hell do 30 ARMED PEOPLE not turn their guns on him when he starts firing into the crowd? Seriously? Out of 30 PEOPLE, not ONE of them thought to take cover or fire back? Say what you will about Woodburians, but they clearly have no sense of self preservation, which begs the question HOW DID THEY MAKE IT THIS LONG IN THE APOCALYPSE?! I'm glad the The Governor didn't die and is now fully-formed into his comic self, but there's no way in hell that the Governor would gun down his army like that.

I could care less about Martinez and the black dude who didn't say a damn word all season.

Andrea died as useless as she's been all season, instead of saving her to develop into a worthwhile character next season (The comics did it better). Was she just staring at Milton's corpse every time they cut away from that room instead of FOCUSING ON THE TASK AT HAND AND GRABBING THE FUCKING PLIERS (Which, by the way, my friends and I recreated having our hands tied and grabbing pliers with our feet. It took us each like 20 seconds.)? Which also begs the question, HOW HAS SHE LASTED THIS LONG IN THE APOCALYPSE?!

Rick isn't crazy anymore! JOLLY! He shouldn't have been crazy to begin with, it was a stupid plot point that went nowhere, just like I said it would. Sure he struggled to maintain his composure in the face of the Governor's threat, but in the end we've simply gone in a big circle with the character, leaving him exactly where we found him at the beginning of the season: As a competent leader. THAT. ISN'T. CHARACTER. DEVELOPMENT.

And before anybody says "Rick stepped down as the leader because he couldn't handle it, he's definitely not in the same place as the beginning of the season." Who planned the traps for The Governor's people? Who decided who would stay and fight and who would hide with Carl? Who decided to retaliate after the Governor's attack? Who do you think made the call to bring those people back to the prison? Yes, they make decisions as a group now, but the final say is still Rick's at the end of the season.

The only real character development that made any sense was Carl. And this is exactly why the comics are better! Carl has the attitude that EVERY character comes to have the comics: You can't trust people, you can only trust the group you're in, and if they don't have your back, you trust yourself. THAT is how you survive in this world, and Carl knows it. Except CARL SHOULDN'T BE THE ONLY PERSON THAT KNOWS THIS!! And in the comics, he isn't. The Governor said it best: You kill or you die. But that knowledge shouldn't be some grand revelation, and it shouldn't need to be said by the villain. It should be common knowledge. This is a serious world where the smart survive, and the idiots die. Simple as that.

While I'm happy that Glen Mazzara will no longer be the showrunner for The Walking Dead, this season left me with no hope for the show's future. The group dynamic makes no sense at this point, they have way too many characters now for the show to have any coherence (and before you argue, look at how well they've done the past three seasons with such a large cast of characters.), and no matter where they take the show from here, it will not be The Walking Dead. You gave it a good run, AMC, but you can count me out next season unless there's a serial killer among the Woodburians' elderly, Tyreese's character arc is as fucked as it is in the comics, and the Governor comes back as the REAL, fully-formed Governor from the comics that we all know and love, and the tone of the show takes a major, major morbid turn.

END RANT.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    So i guess you hate the Dixons and Milton due to their arc in the comics being...erm....slightly different to the show :P

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SliceyDicey View Post
    So i guess you hate the Dixons and Milton due to their arc in the comics being...erm....slightly different to the show :P
    Oh no, not at all. I love what they've done with Merle and Daryl, and Milton was a great addition. I'm not talking so much about character additions as I am the overall structure of the thing. The story beats in the show were vastly different from the comics, and the character development suffered as a result I felt. I'm not saying that everything needs to be as it is in the comics, I'm just saying if you're going to make changes to the source material, change things for the better otherwise leave it as is. Change for the sake of change isn't good if the changes don't improve on the source material.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    youre getting no sympathy from me. i thoguht the season finale was AWESOME and the season started off crappy and the 2nd half improved a LOT although i still like S1 & S2 and the darabont days a LOT better season 3 was still good for what its worth

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Much of your rant is on target. But I have to say that I did enjoy the season and the finale, probably because I can easily suspend disbelief if I see what I want to see, and I like stories where good guys win, and bad guys get their assess kicked, and I still have hope that the Gov will get his in S4. The writers continually disappoint me with the poor/non development and inconsistent behavior of characters, but not enough to make me stop watching---yet.
    Still, great rant.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    I hated the Woodbury and Andrea arc, annoying as fuck. Her death had zero redemption and was a pathetic cautionary tale at best. That said, I didn't totally hate the season, loved the finale and am excited for S4. And let's not forget that one person's logic does not equate to fact.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Get Darabont back ... someone... anyone with standards and who knows how to tell a story in a way that doesn't insult the viewers' intelligence. (Yeah ...I know it's just a story about flesh eating zombies ....but it started out being a GREAT show about flesh eating zombies.)

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    I can only imagine how awesome the governor & woodbury story would have been with darabont in charge...

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Level
    I disagree.

I liked what Mazzara did this season, although I do have a few nitpicks.

But I thought it started out strong and it ended just the way it needed to.

Not trying to be insulting or anything but I really hate when people compare the comics and the show.

It's been said time and time again that the comic is only being used as a reference and honestly, comic readers will most likely be disappointed if they keep comparing the two.

Interesting rant though :)

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    I have said it once and I'll say it again-cause it bears repeating.
    Even when TWD is at its worst-even when its at its most ridiculous-
    It's still better than just about all the crap on TV(network and cable).
    I have been waiting my whole life for a show like this and I ain't about to kiss it off cause of some plotholes-inconsistencies,etc.
    Its an original-at least in North America.
    And its horror fiction for God's sake-let's suspend disbelief a little bit.
    I'll take the weakest episode in this series over the best of just about anything else out there now!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast