Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Level

Rotten World

RW 1

My name is Matt Tyler.
    I was a normal kid who loved sport and school.... well not so much but the point is my life was ordinary. But now I live in this world with undead freaks as well as the usual human freaks, I killed my dad and my mom. It didn't hurt, they weren't themselves. I had to for my brother and for myself, if I didn't my brother would have died. He was only five at the time,it was his life that I had to save. My parents turned, I couldn't save them, I tried. Really I did. We're on the road, Kingsville is the destination. Everyone has made small communities, they stay out of here. All these communities are bordered and have small populations of about 100-200 people, outside those communities is home to the zombies. They have inherited the Earth but everything has turned into a wasteland, they have only one goal. At first I thought it was to eat but now I know that there only purpose is to make this into a rotten world. This morning Jack ran into a herd, it was down to me to save him. The kid worries me too much, if anything happened to him then I would lose my only reason to live. We have been traveling for four hours straight now, we try to avoid people, Jack is tired and exhausted. God that kid slows me down but I love him,we were now at an empty field. It's a blaze of heat at the moment, Jack clearly needs a rest and some water.

The two brothers sit down on the empty field, Jack falls back on the colorless grass. Matt wore a red baseball cap,a leather jacket and blue jeans. His hair was short and black while his eyes were blue, in the pocket of his jacket he had a photo of him and his family on holiday. He carried around a green backpack in which he carried supplies and a separate bag for weapons in this bag he had crossbow bolts and some melee weapons. Among these was a katana which was given to him by his uncle. Matt kept telling Jack that their uncle was still alive, it gave the kid some hope. Matt took out a bottle of water and some meat, he made a fire and cooked the meat until it was edible as he could see how impatient his brother was getting. Matt sat by the fire while his brother ate, he watched as his brother fell asleep after eating. Matt pulled out a photo from his backpack, it was of Kate.

I never told her how I felt about her, I planned to that day. I had returned home and was going to ask my parents if I could go out, she never showed up that day. Her parents probably heard the news and called her back home, I walked back home. When I got there I saw the street full of these freaks, I entered my house to see my parents approaching Jack. I picked up a knife and stabbed them .... repeatedly out of anger at the world. I hope Kate is still out there, one day I will tell her. Kingsville is close to us now, a new life is what I promised Jack.The truth is I don't think we will find anything there but he needs hope. I wanna help make this world what it once was, I wanna be the one to make it a better place.

As the morning arrived, Matt and Jack began walking again. As a dozen walkers approached them, Matt pulled out his crossbow. In a short while they were all dead. The two of them walked out of the forest and stared at each other as they saw the gated community. It was real, they had actually found a community after searching so long, the maps they used were useless because they didn't have any of the communities mapped on. Until now Matt had just been looking at surroundings hoping to find a community around where he saw lots of buildings but those were the places that no one could take from the undead. As Matt walked up to the gates, a couple of men pointed their guns at him. He wasn't scared, he continued walking up then told his brother to enter. Soon the townspeople came out but as they saw the two brothers they agreed to give them entry.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Nine lives, remember? ✿ Cherokee Rose ✿'s Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Awesome! I look forward to reading the second chapter! :)

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Level
    My and Ripley are going to be co writing this from now on so credit for all future chapters to Ripley as well.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    How awesome you and Ripley are working together! I love stories in this format. It's very similar to World War Z, a book I really enjoyed. I'm excited for more.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    709 Post(s)
    Level
    Shadix99 and I decided to collaborate and are working on "re-setting" the story from the beginning. You'see different parts in 2 basic fonts, as Shadix99 really wants to write between first and third persons. The font colors will be different enough to indicate a shift, but no so drastic as to make your eyes bleed!

so here is a peek... We'd love some feedback!

Chapter 1

My name is Matt Tyler… I was a normal kid who loved sports and school…well not so much, but the point is my life was ordinary. But the world now is full of freaks, the undead and the usual human kinds. I killed my dad first, then my mom; I had to kill them or my brother would have died. They weren’t themselves at the time and Jack was only five- it was his life or theirs. So after trying everything I could think of, I saved Jack by killing Mum and Dad after they turned.

Jack and I are on the road now, heading for Kingsville, a small safe zone of a community, surrounded by zombies just like every other small group of survivors. Kingsville is just like all the other new places these days, 100-200 desperate souls like Jack and me, fighting the zombies who inherited the Earth. I thought the zombies just wanted to eat us, but I know better now; their only purpose is to make this a rotten world.

We’ve traveled on foot through blazing heat all day now, it’s been almost five hours of avoiding other humans, hiding or fleeing from the zombies everywhere. There’s nowhere to hide and miles more to go before we reach a haven. Jack is cranky and exhausted; he clearly needs a break and a drink of water. I sit him down under the branches of a friendly oak tree to rest while I trudge into a nearby filed to find water.

God that kid slows me down, but I love him. At night he cries for Dad and Mum or has nightmares after a brutal day. He sucks his thumb at night now too, and I let him since he needs comfort and I have none to share.

Jack ran into a small group of six walkers this morning and panicked, screaming for me as loud as he could. I was behind some dead guy’s toolshed since bathrooms with running water no longer exist in my world. Jack’s the reason I keep living, keep fighting for us both to keep him safe. I never wanted a little brother at all, but no one ever asked me how I felt about it.

Mum just got fatter until one day I came home from school and there was Jack, crying, smelly and somehow mine. “Mind you look out for Jack, now Matt!”, my parents said every day. I watched over Jack as he learned to walk, to toddle and later to run through the world without caution or care, always laughing, always knowing his older brother would keep him safe. It’s what I do.

The two boys sat down atop a patch of colorless, parched grasses in the otherwise-empty field; the raging heat of August baked the land, causing heat shimmers to rise through the air. The older boy, handed over a bottle of water he handed over to the smaller, much younger child who gulped it greedily while watching his companion build a fast fire over which he cooked some unknown meat pulled from a heavy-looking green backpack. The child was clearly hungry and impatient, but fell asleep quickly after their hasty meal. The teenager, dressed in jeans, a well-worn black leather jacket and a red baseball cap, pulled out from the pack what appeared to be a photograph.

He leaned one elbow against another heavy bag with the hilt of a sword sticky out from the opening where it could be grabbed quickly in case of attack. Sipping from a half-bottle of water, he pulled down the red brim of his cap and studied the girl in the picture, glancing over at his sleeping companion every few minutes as if to reassure himself they were still safe.

I never told Kate how I felt about her; I meant to, even planned to that very day, but the world died while I was planning what to say and whether to kiss her, so I never got my chance. She never showed up that terrible day, her parents probably kept her at home after hearing the news. When Kate never showed up at our place, I waited as long as possible before walking home, heart heavy. Our street was full of moaning, biting, eating freaks everywhere. I ran hastily to the house, slammed shut and bolted the door behind me calling for my parents…who moaned as they reached out towards Jack, grey, lifeless faces twitching as they smelled him. I grabbed Mum’s big knife and stabbed them…repeatedly out of anger towards the world. I hope Kate is still out there; one day I will find her and tell her I love her. Kingsville is a day closer now, and I am a day closer to having Jack safe now and maybe getting a life of my own. One day, though, maybe things will be different...

Matt and Jack began walking the next morning as soon as the sun rose overhead. Fluffy clouds gathered already in the sky, hinting of an afternoon thunderstorm to cut through the already crushing humidity and heat. They cut through the woods close to the field hoping to avoid desperate humans and hungry zombies alike. As a dozen walkers shambled towards them from behind the trees ahead, Matt grabbed and loaded his crossbow with bolts from the larger pack at his feet. Hissing at Jack to take cover in the brush behind him, Matt grimly waited for the first walkers to come within optimal range, then fired!

An hour later, Jack scrambled out of an overgrown clump of sassafras bushes and rushed over to Matt, flinging both arms around his legs as he burst into sobs. Covered in reeking walker guts, brains and fluids, Matt bent down and gently patted Jack’s trembling back, saying softly, “It’s alright, buddy, they’re down for good.” Jack heaved a watery sigh, took a ragged deep breath and held on tightly to Matt’s waist until he stopped shaking. “Here, Jack, grab us a snack bar from the green pack, OK?” Matt said as he looked around for a tree with low, leafy branches. “Sit right here and start breakfast while I finish going through their pockets and then clean up. And save me half, OK? ” Jack dove into the pack, and tore open the wrapper, chewing blissfully on the stale treat through half-closed eyes.

Matt raided the bodies of each walker, finding a gold cross on a 14kg thin chain, an expensive multi-tool, three sets of car keys and $48.63 in additional to the wallets and other useless items. He pocketed the bills, the jewelry and the multi-tool but left behind the other items. Money had no value anymore, except as emergency toilet roll, but he could trade the gold and use the tool. He led Jack through the woods where they came out close to a gated community called “King’s Estates”. Jack forgot how tired he was and that he was still hungry; Matt fought back his hopes of having found Kingsville although his heart hammered in his chest. It was real !

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Awesome start guys!! I love the mini back story of Matt and his little brother and the little details like Jack still sucking his thumb. And, like I stated before, I really like the use of 1st person. I can kind of hear Matt's voice a little because of the 1st person so that's awesome. Can't wait to read more.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by CherokeeRose <3 View Post
    Awesome! I look forward to reading the second chapter! :)
    Thanks, me and Ripley are doing this as a collab now we have redone chapter 1, its been posted and once me and Ripley have free time we will get round to chapter two. Thanks for reading :), and i hope you enjoy the new version of chapter 1.