1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level

The Walking Dead: Daryl Dixon Deleted Scene Revealed

http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/04/14...cene-revealed/

It’s always fascinating to learn about changes that occurred in The Walking Dead TV series. For instance, we previously reported on how Andrea’s death scenewas changed in the season three finale. In the original take, Andrea was still chained to the dentist chair when Milton attacked.
    Now, while reading through The Walking Dead Magazine Issue #3, we came across another scene that was changed. This particular scene never made it to the filming stage, but it was deleted from the script after Norman Reedus felt it didn’t match where he was going with his character Daryl Dixon.
    Norman Reedus said, “There was an early draft of the script set after finding Sophia in the barn, where Daryl was taking drugs. I got the script and spoke with [season three showrunner] Glen Mazzara and the writers, and I was like, ‘Can we please change that? I don’t want to take drugs at all. I want to grow up and not be life my brother.’ I wanted it to be embarrassing for me to grow up like that, and now that I wasn’t under Merle’s influence, I hoped that Daryl would become the man that he wanted to be in the first place.”
    We think Reedus made a good call with getting the writers to change that scene. Daryl has emerged as somewhat of a role model for people overcoming difficult situations in their childhood, and for him to take drugs would have been a step backwards. Having now seen the entirety of season three, it was a much more powerful story to show Daryl’s evolution into a different type of person than his brother Merle.
    The Walking Dead Magazine Issue #3 is still available on newsstands, so be sure to check out the full article for more from Norman Reedus.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Good call on Reedus' part, IMO. I can't think of how I want to phrase it... maybe it would have been a little cliché to see Daryl taking drugs?

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    it would have been cool to see that scene. i get that people love daryl to death but its not a crime to have him do 1 bad thing like any normal person would

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Level
    I'm so glad he asked them to change that. It's cool they listened to his input.

I'm fine with Daryl drinking (like the booyah scene at the CDC) but keeping him from falling into the trap of addiction like Merle did really helps to not only differentiate them but also to set him up as the role model he's kind of become. I can't see Daryl tearing up mattresses in the prison looking for Crystal Meth.

I'd like to see him take off that SS logo from Merle's bike now that Merle's gone.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    I feel like that would be some lame writing coming from the writers...i mean yes i have the benefit of hindsight since i have seen the after effects of Reedus' decision....but common...that could of potentially ruined his character....dont get me wrong he is one of my favorites, but what kind of development is that? Also i understand that he invested alot in finding Sophia and it was probably heartbreaking for him, but for him to all of a sudden start doing drugs because of it out of nowhere? Big kudos to Reedus for this input....for me it makes me like his character even more....

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    No, I didn't mean that I think taking drugs makes anyone a bad person. Life isnt that black and white. But one of the things that makes Daryl's character interesting to me is that he's not Merle Jr, if that makes any kind of sense.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KenobiFan1999 View Post
    it would have been cool to see that scene. i get that people love daryl to death but its not a crime to have him do 1 bad thing like any normal person would
    Well that kind of negates everything said in the article, no? Reedus didn't want Daryl to be a carbon copy of his brother, and it would have been completely cliche for him to do so. And no, not everyone would turn to drugs and I'd hope that's not your general assumption.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zindle View Post

I'm fine with Daryl drinking (like the booyah scene at the CDC) but keeping him from falling into the trap of addiction like Merle did really helps to not only differentiate them but also to set him up as the role model he's kind of become. I can't see Daryl tearing up mattresses in the prison looking for Crystal Meth.

I'd like to see him take off that SS logo from Merle's bike now that Merle's gone.
    I don't think Daryl's concerned with society's reaction to the SS logo. I get what you mean, but honestly, if anyone's going to focus on that in their current situation, well, priorities, kwim?

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Zindle View Post

The bike is the last piece of his brother that he has, so I doubt he will take SS off right now. I do not think that Daryl was a druggie, but cigs and booze were his drug of choice. Besides if I was gonna die in prison during the outbreak, I would have already smoked and injected every thing that I had knowing that I was gonna die happy, so Merle was wasting his time. Checking the light switches would have been a better choice.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    no but everyone has their own darkside. and just because we see daryl using drugs once does not mean hes addicted and isnt a carbon copy of merle we've seen that they are complete opposites. daryl doesnt have to always be the golden boy it gets old after a while IMO

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    709 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by pixiecut View Post
    No, I didn't mean that I think taking drugs makes anyone a bad person. Life isnt that black and white. But one of the things that makes Daryl's character interesting to me is that he's not Merle Jr, if that makes any kind of sense.
    It does make sense and I agree with you. Not everyone coming from that similar background will automatically have substance abuse issues ; it would have felt like a lame cliché and bad writing to me had the scene remained and Daryl developed in that direction as Merle, Jr.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast