Thread: Banking Online

1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level

Banking Online

My first bank account (which I still have as a security/savings blanket but no longer use) was actually at a state-wide credit union, but they're online interface sucked equally as much as their new mobile "app" released last year. Long story short: I decided to switch.

After researching and asking some friends, I decided to go with an online-only bank. Finally, back in November, I switched to my new bank which is only online. There's no brick-and-mortar locations for me to visit to cash checks, conduct business etc. It does however possess a lot of tools that I would use if I handled my cash directly.

It's an FDIC insured bank account with a credit/debit/atm card. And I love it. Checks are cashed via the iPhone/Android app, purchases have a push notification that pops up within seconds of swiping my card, I can deactivate and reactivate my card at will (e.g if I think I lost it, then find it later). If I ever need cash, they contracted for a fee-free transaction with a nationwide ATM network found in nearly every CVS store, and moving is a breeze because I never have to worry about switching [local] banks were I to move out of state.

So, to the point of this thread:

What is your opinion of online-only banking? Do you trust it? Would you use it? Tell me why or why not and discuss?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Level
    Definitely convenient in this day and age. Only problems are if the grid goes down and hackers getting into it. But like you said it FDIC backed so I'm sure it's relatively safe.

That's cool that even without a brick and mortar bank, you can still use certain ATMs if you need cash. I bank online all the time, pay bills, check balances, transfer funds. I can go to the physical bank too if necessary, but pretty much anything can be done electronically. I'm comfortable with it and like the convenience.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    I actually rarely go to a bank but I'm also leery of just doing online only simply b/c, as we all know, sites can and have crashed. I'd hate to be stuck needing to do something and not being able to

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    I have used online banking for over a year now and have never had a complaint. Everything is completely convient as you have stated above. Also it actually made my financing much simpler to balance and keep track of than the previous local bank I did business with. Again over a year and not one complaint from me. :)