1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Level

Deadwood

Anyone else love this show?

The more I rewatch all three seasons, the farther up I rank it, in terms of my favorite all-time shows. The first season in particular gives Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones both a run for their money (and THAT is saying a lot). Such great characters, from Al Fucking Swearengen to George Hearst (the latter being an even bigger representation of slime than Levy on The Wire)

I'm sad it was never given a proper send-off, but the series finale wasn't that bad in its own right, in that it wasn't nearly as open-ended as it could've been.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    709 Post(s)
    Level
    I am still angry that it was canceled. So much story left to tell. Al Swearingen, Doc, Calamity Jane, Whitney, Alma with so many of my favorite actors too, Timothy Olyphant, Ian McShane, Brad Dourif, Ann Gunn, Paula Malcolm, John Hawkes, Garrett Hedlund, Gerald McRainey, and so many others.

Soundtrack was glorious too... sigh, even the great vaunted BB, Sopranos and other shows could learn lessons at the feet of Deadwood. IMO of course

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Level
    Oh god, Brad Dourif displayed downright MASTERCLASS acting here, you're right! Can never get enough of ol' Doc Cochran :)

Remember Steve the Drunk too? I'm not exaggerating when I say that he's one of the best comic-relief characters I've seen in a show! The interplay between him and some of the other Deadwood citizens was just classic (especially the old black farmer dude lol)

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    709 Post(s)
    Level
    I agree about Steve, but somehow was not too upset when he met his ignoble end. I hated how he worse down a noble man who helped him often. Now I have to go back and watch it all again for all the details. Whitney and his dog, sigh! William Sanderson ah ! but yes, Doc Cochran was a perfect master class for Brad Dourif in every way.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Loved the show, but I must admit it took a bit of getting used to because of the language. No fouler mouths ever existed than in a western mining town ...however ....the profanity of the late nineteenth century was made up of an entirely different vocabulary than that represented on Deadwood. Once that lack of historical accuracy was overlooked, the series was fascinating.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    709 Post(s)
    Level
    Here's link to the Deadwood Wikipedia (not the Wiki) that has lots of info about why the show used the language it did despite the historical inaccuracies as bigbillhaywood pointed out above

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadwood_(TV_series)

..."The word "fuck" was said 43 times in the first hour of the show.[9] It has been reported that the series had a total count of 2,980 "fucks" and an average of 1.56 utterances of "fuck" per minute of footage.[10]"

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Level

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Level
    I am glad I stumbled on this thread. I have been looking for a TV show to tide me over during TWD hiatus.. Someone recommended House of Cards so I tried it tonight and it was good but I guess I am not that into political dramas.

Lilyhammer...maybe. Anyone watched it?

Should I try Rectified?

Then I saw this and realized I need to go back and rewatch Deadwood.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Nana View Post
    I am glad I stumbled on this thread. I have been looking for a TV show to tide me over during TWD hiatus.. Someone recommended House of Cards so I tried it tonight and it was good but I guess I am not that into political dramas.

Lilyhammer...maybe. Anyone watched it?

Should I try Rectified?

Then I saw this and realized I need to go back and rewatch Deadwood.
    Absolutely try Rectified! The frst season was near flawless I thought. It has everything - rich characterization, masterclass acting, and crisp cinematography (I'm always especially obsessed when it comes to the latter )

I too never got much into House of Cards. I could only get through the fifth or sixth episode in their entirety before I had to start just skimming through the rest for my own sake.

Oh, and yeah Lilyhammer's alright. The first season relied a bit more on plot contrivances than I would've liked, but it's still a highly enjoyable show overall.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    709 Post(s)
    Level
    I was watching Deadwood their morning when "Greg Nicotero". Popped in the special effects credits- nice to see it.

I'm listening to the audio commentary for a season 3 episode- Jim Beaver (Ellsworth) Sean Bridgers (Johnny) and Earle W. Brown (Dan)-hilarious and I'm loving the inside info.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Spoil The Dead is the largest & number one fansite for AMC's The Walking Dead & Fear The Walking Dead, Image Comic's The Walking Dead, and the Telltale Games. Offering spoilers, games, and community to fans & zombie enthusiasts.