Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Level

Looking to relocate from the UK to America

So I'm currently looking for full time employment, I have always dreamed about relocating to America and living out their but getting a green card is hard to do.
    One of the ways to obtain one is through work and so I was wondering if anybody knew of any internships or job opportunities that are based in America which hire people internationally.
    thanks for all help and if this is posted in the wrong section or if I'm not aloud to post something like this then I apologise and feel free to delete.

I have I have 8 GCSE's from school and am currently expecting grade DMM in a BTEC national extended diploma in Media Studies

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Of course you are. It's the water cooler! Have you given any thought as to a specific location or region of the U.S.?

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Level
    I hoped so lol, and tbh I'd like to live in NYC or a surrounding area but obviously millions of people would love to so I don't really mind where abouts I am

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Level
    Well first you want to go to somewhere with a good economy that has prospects to fit your field. The USA is infinitely larger than the UK. So you are going to have to break it down in regions. But most of the economic growth is coming from places like Texas. Houston is a booming city right now.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Level
    I live in Texas, so I can provide a little insight on what RTR is saying. Houston is booming, but it's not really growing...personally, if I were looking to start over, I would look into the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, especially with experience in media. The community is growing at an almost alarming rate, so it's ideal for living right now, and it's huge market (along with New York, Los Angeles, and Miami) for pretty much anything you may be interested in.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Level
    All I can say is you're going to lose your lovely accent if you move here! LOL. Wishing you the best though.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Good luck living the American Dream. ;)

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    709 Post(s)
    Level
    William that is lovely news and IMO you should follow your dream wherever it takes you. Do you have a resume put together or used LinkedIn or similar places for your search? Those may be helpful tools in your search.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    rtr2010 is right, there are significant differences in the economy of the U.S. For example, a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home with two double garages on a 1/4 acre in the midwest would cost about $100,000. The same house would be about $350,000 in California. An apartment in Houston might be $1,000, but $2,300 in New York for the same amount of space.

You've got your hurricanes in the southeast, blizzards in the northwest, tornadoes in the midwest, desert in the southwest and earthquakes on the east coast.

And so many cultural considerations as well. Unfortunately, racism is more prevalent in some parts of the U.S. than others. And I don't mean against one specific ethnicity or the other. It's just different everywhere you go. So just do your due diligence and do what you can to talk to local people in your chosen areas. I wish you lots of luck!

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by EVOriginal View Post
    I live in Texas, so I can provide a little insight on what RTR is saying. Houston is booming, but it's not really growing...personally, if I were looking to start over, I would look into the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, especially with experience in media. The community is growing at an almost alarming rate, so it's ideal for living right now, and it's huge market (along with New York, Los Angeles, and Miami) for pretty much anything you may be interested in.
    If I was to apply for some jobs in the Houston area would they be prepared to offer me like a trip over their for a trail run and accommodation or is that something that the business don't supply?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SundownComes View Post
    All I can say is you're going to lose your lovely accent if you move here! LOL. Wishing you the best though.
    I will never lose my accent it's something that'll stay with me forever

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ripley View Post
    William that is lovely news and IMO you should follow your dream wherever it takes you. Do you have a resume put together or used LinkedIn or similar places for your search? Those may be helpful tools in your search.
    It's been my dream since I was about 7 or 8 which is 10 years ago now lol. I do have a resume that I updated a few weeks ago, thank you for some tools for me to use

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast