1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    It is well with my soul Sassenach's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Level

Maya Angelou: Celebrated author, poet, dies at age 86 in North Carolina

Renaissance woman Maya Angelou, the award-winning writer, poet, actress and civil rights activist, was found dead Wednesday morning inside her Winston-Salem, N.C., home.

The 86-year-old icon, who survived a childhood rape that left her mute and found a voice heard around the world, was discovered by her caretaker, according to an announcement from Wake Forest University.

Angelou lived in an 18-room home on the campus, where she taught American Studies.

Source

Absolute legend. I love love love her writings. RIP

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    709 Post(s)
    Level
    I have long loved Maya's writing, her wisdoms and her laughter. Many years ago, I had the privilege of meeting her at a writer's workshop near my home although I was silent, nervous about meeting her. She read my short story slowly, as I agonized over each word written and critiqued myself mercilessly- "Why had I picked that word instead of this one?", "What was I thinking to have her read my work?" , "Why did I ever think I could be a writer and tell stories?". I wanted to run away, hide, tear up the pages all in an instant.

After a long moment, she smiled at me, looking straight into my frightened eyes with amused, knowing ones. She laughed kindly, "Honey, you have story stamped all over your soul so big it will never come out. Time for you to believe it."

She has moved millions, brightened hearts and souls like mine, brought joy to the world even when disclosing the hardest nature of the human spirit. Her strength, joy and love of life and people were treasures she shared with us all, always encouraging everyone to share their truths no matter how gorgeous or ugly.

I will miss her but am so thankful I lived during her lifetime and learned so many lessons, with gratitude, from her loving soul.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    353 Post(s)
    Level
    A life lived as inspiration. <3

Her 1969 memoir, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, made literary history as the first nonfiction best-seller by an African-American woman.

More:

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ry?id=23894766