Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #11
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebradley127 View Post
    This is a valid criticism. On the same token, had TG gone in with his little display of force and there were no casualties at all, then he looks impotent and his villainy is laughable. It was the same with Oscar. Rick couldn't raid Woodbury and shoot up a bunch of people without losing one of his own. So in both instances then, who would you rather lose? A character we haven't really gotten to know yet or a major player?
    I can answer that.

If it's a character I like, I'd rather lose the minor player. If it's a character I hate, I'd rather lose the major player. Now everyone be quiet and satisfy my own personal sensitivities.

2. Back To Top    #12
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Bestrafen View Post
    I can answer that.

If it's a character I like, I'd rather lose the minor player. If it's a character I hate, I'd rather lose the major player. Now everyone be quiet and satisfy my own personal sensitivities.
    Ding! Ding! Ding! Give the mod a prize!

3. Back To Top    #13
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Level
    How many Bestrafens does it take to screw in a light bulb?

One.

I hold the light bulb in the socket while the world revolves around me.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebradley127 View Post
    This is a valid criticism. On the same token, had TG gone in with his little display of force and there were no casualties at all, then he looks impotent and his villainy is laughable. It was the same with Oscar. Rick couldn't raid Woodbury and shoot up a bunch of people without losing one of his own. So in both instances then, who would you rather lose? A character we haven't really gotten to know yet or a major player?
    Or how about this: If they wanted to kill off a minor character, they should have fleshed him out in episodes prior to his death.

5. Back To Top    #15
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Level
    I'll be honest, fleshing out characters involve a significant amount of dialogue. The audience wouldn't tolerate it and then complain that it's "boring" or there's not enough zombie killin' action given what we've seen in remarks about S2.

6. Back To Top    #16
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Level
    I'll be honest, fleshing out characters involve a significant amount of dialogue. The audience wouldn't tolerate it and then complain that it's "boring" or there's not enough zombie killin' action given what we've seen in remarks about S2.
    The audience won't complain that it's boring if the dialogue is done well. Besides, fleshing out a character is all about what person likes or dislikes and I fail to see how that would be boring.

7. Back To Top    #17
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    To be honest, I didn't hate season 3, but the second half of the season didn't rise to the level of excellence I have come to expect from the show. Here were some of the issues I had with the season -

1. Uneven pacing - the first half of the season was fast and furious (with the exception of Woodbury scenes), the second half of the season was slow, then it seemed they tried to cram too much in the end.
    2. The structure of the season - I felt they should have spent more time with the Dixon brothers in the middle of the season, and ended the season with a Holy Crap! moment, such as the Governor's massacre or Merle's death. Other scenes could have been re-edited to occur in different orders to spread out the action rather than leave a few episodes slower than others. All the scenes were relevant (except Mr. Coleman) but the structure was all off.
    3. Woodbury - became a little more than a backdrop for the Governor to go insane in. It could have been played up as a dytopia, show some citizens getting discontent, etc. Instead, it was just paradise until the end.
    4. Woodbury citizens, esp. Karen - if she was supposed to play such a big role in the finale, then she should have had an increasingly bigger role throughout the season. Also, highlighting some of the residents would have been nice so we could care about them when they are mowed down in the finale or taken in by Rick.
    5. Andrea - Andrea, Andrea, Andrea.
    6. Death as character development - They killed off characters just as they were starting to develop. T Dawg could have been the next Tyresse, but instead he was killed to make way for Tyresse. Lori was just becoming likable and pitiable, then she's torn open. Axel was getting a great backstory and could have been a rival for Carol's affections, and then he gets a bullet in the brain. Oscar, even Andrea was killed off rather than redeem her.
    7. Martinez - a missed opportunity. The scenes with him and Daryl showed the potential of his character. Once again, it would be nice to "feel" for him as he watches his town shot by his leader.
    8. Shampurt who? - or whatever his name is. If he was a survivor, it would have been nice to have some development on him first.
    9. Milton's experiments and notebook - What did he discover? Anything helpful? What was in that notebook? His experiments are never really explained. In the end, he just became a means to dispatch of Andrea. Another missed opportunity.
    10. Andrea - did I mention Andrea?

I truly believe the discontent behind the scenes and rewrites lead to the unevenness of the season. And the constant focus on Andrea just added to inconsistent actions of the characters and the poor pacing of the season (and probably contributed to the behind the scenes issues).

8. Back To Top    #18
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Christ2010Grad View Post
    Or how about this: If they wanted to kill off a minor character, they should have fleshed him out in episodes prior to his death.
    When they try that with minor characters, people are still unhappy. Beth didn't even die and people still felt that "we don't know her, why are we spending time with her" when she had her chance to tell the story in dealing with thoughts of suicide.

- - - Updated - - -

This is also very true. And even if the dialog isn't "boring" the reality is, we have all told, not even 16 full hours to the season. How much of that time do we want to dedicate to D & E storyline characters who are going to be killed off versus your A & B storylines?

9. Back To Top    #19
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Level
    Maybe they should shoot more dialogue then simply show it during the Talking dead as an intriguing extra. I suppose they already do similar things with the writers/cast having to explain the bad editing through interviews and making of's.

10. Back To Top    #20
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by imogen13 View Post
    I truly believe the discontent behind the scenes and rewrites lead to the unevenness of the season. And the constant focus on Andrea just added to inconsistent actions of the characters and the poor pacing of the season (and probably contributed to the behind the scenes issues).
    I agree and I think this is why Glenn Mazarra was kicked off.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast