Forgot your username?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Level

Daryl Dixon- What type of storylines would you like 2 see 4 him in Season 4 & beyond?

Okay, so I've been hearing lots of people say that Daryl has no more story left to tell. The reason for this is because some here on this forum say that Daryl's storyline is over because there is no way they can do that with out devolving him or having him lose his roughness. I totally beg to differ on this subject. There is still more story to give Daryl in the Walking Dead. What sort of storyline would you like to see for Daryl in Season 4?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Level
    The ability to see remaining storyline for any character depends on if you like said character or not. As far as I'm concerned, Dan Druff and Anita Bath can live until the end of the series.

That being said, Daryl's only storyline is to be there for revenue reasons alone.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Actually, with Merle's death, there's a whole spin that could be given to a character. Plus, there is still interaction with other characters that can have a story within it. And agreeing with the point above, Daryl is the cash cow in the equation, removing him might as well be the end of it.

I think that if they play on the insanity/mental instability field, they can get a lot out of a character. After all, we haven't really seen him being all emotionally freaked out, just being rough and cool. But when trouble is a little closer to home (Merle), a character can get a whole new development. So far, Daryl is close to being 2D in terms of his personality, and I think that in season 4 (according to things I read and saw) we might see more dimension added to him - more humanity, so to speak.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Level
    I think the most interesting story would have been involving Merle and seeing a bit of them together, how Merle might have affected the group dynamic, things like that. Since that's not going to happen, I'd at least like Merle's words to Daryl to play a part. For him to not just blindly follow Rick.
    For his character to remain interesting, he needs to have an opinion. It works well that he is the type of character that is pretty passive and will follow Rick's orders even when he doesn't agree with them, but it's not a very interesting one. If it were to cause some tension and conflict, nothing long term, just to make Daryl realise he needs to do what is right for him, that'd be something.
    Other than that, I'm not sure what they'll do.
    I'd say that they might venture into having Daryl and a woman, possibly Carol, get close and then the woman will die. they like to make the men suffer like that. I'm not sure I love the idea but they never ask my opinions. ;)

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    709 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiriter View Post
    Actually, with Merle's death, there's a whole spin that could be given to a character. Plus, there is still interaction with other characters that can have a story within it. And agreeing with the point above, Daryl is the cash cow in the equation, removing him might as well be the end of it.

I think that if they play on the insanity/mental instability field, they can get a lot out of a character. After all, we haven't really seen him being all emotionally freaked out, just being rough and cool. But when trouble is a little closer to home (Merle), a character can get a whole new development. So far, Daryl is close to being 2D in terms of his personality, and I think that in season 4 (according to things I read and saw) we might see more dimension added to him - more humanity, so to speak.
    While I certainly believe we will see some changes in the Daryl character in season 4, mental instability/insanity is not likely to be in that mix- distance sure, withdrawal, almost certainly at least for 1-2 episodes but I doubt they'll go further than that. It was done last season after Rick lost Lori and would be a repeat of a plotline many viewers (myself included) felt dragged on a bit too much in certain ways when showing his descent in other ways would have made the point earlier and sharper.

The trailer gives many clues to Tyreese clearly having psychological issues from whatever he sees or what happens so to have two such strong characters as Tyreese and Daryl going through the same issues in the same ways at the same time just seems unlikely. Mileage varies.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Level
    I heard that Merle's death wasn't going to be a big part of the story line going forward. What with the time jump, so Daryl's initial grief has gone and from what a friend said, Norman said something like everyone was losing people so it's kinda a thing they're used too.
    I'm kinda hoping Merle's death isn't just swept aside so quickly and it has no relevance again, otherwise Merle might not have bothered coming back if they make actually don't have it ever develop Daryl's story line. he may as well have just died in his sleep or something rather than being killed, because if it isn't shown to motivate Daryl at all then it really was for nothing.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    I am relatively new to the forum as a poster, but I have been reading posts for several months. Having said that, I have noted many believe that Daryl's story line is at an end. I am baffled by that. I suspect that some people feel that way because they have read the comic (I admittedly have not) and do not see potential for him as they do for characters who appear or have appeared in the GN. I am interested in seeing how Daryl responds post-death of Merle and to the introduction of new characters (Tyreese, Sasha, Karen, etc). I also am not interested in seeing a romance for Daryl, but do want to watch his relationships develop with others. I also think Daryl, more than almost any other character (other than Michonne) has unfinished business with the Governor.

It seems that some have taken a dislike to the character because he is popular. He is popular for a number of reasons (and I am not a fangirl). He has demonstrated the ablility to grow emotionally, has protected others at his own risk time and time again, and has supported the group leader in nearly every instance. What is not to like about that? The problem as I see it is that the writers could make him unrealistically perfect. But, there is nothing currently realistic about the ZA.

Lastly, why do so many people believe he should be "Tyreese'd"? If anyone should be Tyreese'd (and I am not saying anyone should), it would be inappropriate for it to be anyone other than Tyreese. That speaks for itself. It's tantamount to saying someone (Maggie, Carol, Beth, Karen) should be the new Andrea. I was not a fan of Andrea's, but she had her own identity and her own story (poorly written as it was). To replace her with the New Andrea is demeaning and trivializing (IMO).

Finally, Daryl and Tyreese cannot only co-exist, they can become a legendary pair of fighters, hopefully resulting in none of the good guys getting Tyreese'd.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Level
    ^I haven't noticed backlash against Daryl anywhere but here (I'm not saying I go around looking for it though, this just happens to be the only forum for TWD I go too). I'm sure it is elsewhere but for the most part, I don't think the character has become *that* bad that it warrants half of it.
    They went off with him a little last season, but it's not as bad as people like to make out, IMO.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Level
    The writers could deepens the relationship between daryl and carol.but if they kill carol i will be pissed.

Daryl in season 4 will have no real development. He will just run around killing walkers and throwing smart ass comments.

Daryl is the cash cow of the show.
    The show has turned him into a barbie doll with accessories.they completely changed his image from seaon 1 to 4.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiriter View Post

I totally agree. I am one of those persons who have argued that the writers have to be careful not to "de-evolve" him without having him "lose his roughness." It's a tough line the writers have to walk. He is, as you said, their "cash cow" and is a walking advertisement for the show. He's also exceedingly popular, due in part to the "bad boy" archetype which tends to appeal to female and male viewers alike.

I'm hoping the writers don't blow the opportunity to use Merle's death as a catalyst to evolve Daryl. The finale brushed off the death with a thrown in comment that looked like it was added just to acknowledge the fact that Merle died. It showed no true reaction from Daryl except acceptance, heck, he was more upset over Sophia's death. I am hoping the powers that be are saving the good stuff for season 4.

I'd actually like to see Daryl go down a dark path....Obsessed with getting the governor, perhaps. The artwork Reedus tweeted a few weeks back with Daryl holding an axe and carrying a collection of heads has me intrigued. The earring necklace was used for two episodes then brushed off....I'd like to see that explored a bit more. Fight his demons maybe. Go to the dark side. Something along that line. Have him wrestle a bit with Merle's death. As it stands, he runs the risk of being stagnant, Rick's right hand man who saves children and feeds babies.

There's nothing wrong with keeping him stagnant, per say. If they want to keep him as a Hans Solo type of rogue who has cool weapons and witty lines, that's fine. But then they shouldn't pretend that they want to evolve him with great storylines like him having to put down his own brother, and then do nothing with the result of that storyline.

I never meant to imply that he had no more story to tell, only that if they do continue to evolve him, they have to do so carefully in order not to lose his appeal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by whitestar1 View Post
    Daryl in season 4 will have no real development. He will just run around killing walkers and throwing smart ass comments.

Daryl is the cash cow of the show.
    The show has turned him into a barbie doll with accessories.they completely changed his image from seaon 1 to 4.
    This is actually my fear. I long for the Daryl of season 1 that you wanted to smack one minute and hug the next. Dale's line after Andrea shot Daryl "Don't worry. We've all wanted to shoot Daryl at times" is what made Daryl so appealing. I like that they gave him a sense of humanity and community and that they began to explore his past, but I'm a bit fearful that they won't do much more with him. Once again, if he's just a archetype, fine. But I think there is more that they can do with him if they do so the right way.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast