Forgot your username?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level

Season 3 DVD Extras - What did you learn?

I just got the season 3 DVD and am in the process of watching all the commentaries and extras. I LOVE audio commentaries because they help me see the episode through the eyes of the actor and/or director and I'm able to learn things about the episode that I never noticed. It might be a small detail, or a major point that I just missed.

I was just wondering if anyone noticed or learned anything they found interesting from the season 3 DVD extras or particularly the audio commentaries?

I just finished watching the audio commentary for "This Sorrowful Life" and three little details jumped out to me -
    1. During Rick's speech to the group about giving up the Ricktatorship, he is holding the bullet he found that killed Lori in his hands
    2. When the Governor is beating up on Merle and then backs off, the indication is maybe he will keep Merle alive to watch him kill Daryl and the rest, leaving Merle for last. (Merle tells Hershall that the Governor would do that in a previous episode. )
    3. Micheal Rooker did not like the way the sniper scene was shot. He felt that Merle wouldn't have missed the Governor the way he did and even the way Alan was shot indicated that the aim was way off.

Just small details but they add to my overall understanding of the episode and appreciation of it.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    In the Say the Word commentary, Greg Nicotero stated that he disliked the way Andrea's character was handled this season, and didn't like that she was killed.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AlVan View Post
    In the Say the Word commentary, Greg Nicotero stated that he disliked the way Andrea's character was handled this season, and didn't like that she was killed.
    Wow, so even some of the powers that be where dissatisfied with how Andrea was handled this season!!! Glad to know that us fans weren't alone in that matter.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Christ2010Grad View Post
    Wow, so even some of the powers that be where dissatisfied with how Andrea was handled this season!!! Glad to know that us fans weren't alone in that matter.
    As I watch the DVD and listen to the commentaries, I keep hearing the attempt to justify Andrea's actions, which shows me even they knew they screwed her up. To me, the entire tragedy of season 3 is the portrayal of Andrea. If Andrea was portrayed better, I think the pacing would have flowed better and the season would have fallen into place. I don't hate the season, but what they did to her ruined it for me. And they simply shouldn't have killed her. They could have done so much with her character season 4 by making her a sort of post tramatic stress syndrome sufferer trying to regain the trust of the group.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Level
    Interesting, any other deleted scenes of mention?

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Three of the deleted scenes were posted here - the Zombie Lori vision, the "no memorial for Lori/Rick won't hold Judith" scene, and the Carol "I'll cut your throat in your sleep" scene. There were a few other scenes, but most of them were "extended versions" of scenes that aired.

One scene I found interesting that was deleted was one involving Beth and Carl after Carl shot Lori. They are discussing losing their mothers, the muted feeling of loss in world where death is so commonplace, and whether or not there is a heaven. The scene doesn't move the action forward and doesn't really say a lot, but it's a nice moment between Beth and Carl. It does explain Carl's lack of emotion regarding Lori's death (he says he's all cried out, basically) and gives Beth a real nice moment (there were too few Beth moments in season 3). I actually really liked the scene, but I can see why it was cut. It didn't really "do" anything.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Level
    DM said that the tune he was whistling while the Guv was playing cat-&-mouse with Andrea in Prey, was from the nursery rhyme "Bye Baby Bunting, Daddy's Gone A Hunting".

ETA: That was also the song/rhyme that he was singing to Penny in Made To Suffer.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    353 Post(s)
    Level
    I'm disappointed they didn't include the "Daryl talking to Maggie about Carol" scene.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    I learned that amc are jerks for not including any of the original scenes from the finale. I also learned that I really like season 3 and my only real complaint is how Andrea was handled.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    I for one felt like season three was so interestingly played out. After rewatching the whole season I understood where Andrea was meant to be taken. My only main criticisms would be having Lori die too quickly and having Andrea stray from reuniting with the prison group. Also Carol needs new clothes. And Merle should have lived longer!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast