Forgot your username?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #11
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Level
    Unfortunately no, I sold it. But, I was told that there wasn't a crumb of it left at the end of the party. Haha So, it was good, I take it. The frosting tastes incredible. I was so glad I found that recipe.

2. Back To Top    #12
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    709 Post(s)
    Level
    Your piping and smoothing techniques are so strong- lovely and very helpful that you explained how others can do it too! Bet it tasted as good as it looks:)

3. Back To Top    #13
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Level
    This is the recipe I use for chicken spaghetti. It contains a lot of non measurements. Just depends on your taste. But I find it to be relatively easy.

Ingredients:
    1 package of chicken breast (or tenderloins--they cook faster)
    Salt, pepper, garlic to taste
    1 can of Cream of chicken (or cream of mushroom if you prefer--mushrooms aren't allowed in my house though)
    1 can of Rotel (We use Original, but if you're into spiciness go for the hotter versions)
    1 package of angel hair pasta (you can use as much or as little as you like--for me it usually depends on how many people I am feeding)
    1 bag of Velveeta Shreds (if you can't find it, a regular small Velveeta block will work. You just have to slice it up and place it on top)

Boil the chicken and your spices to taste until the chicken is completely done. Shred the chicken (Tip: if you happen to have a mixer with a paddle attachment, this step is easy. Dump it in and turn on the mixer. DONE.) Keep the chicken water and use it to boil the pasta in. While that's going, add the Rotel and Cream of whatever to the shredded chicken. When the pasta is done, strain it, reserve a little of the water. You may or may not need it. Add the pasta to the rest of your mixture and stir. If it seems a little dry, add the water you've saved. If it looks good to you, throw the water out. Pour it all in a baking pan and top with Velveeta cheese. Bake at 350 degrees until the cheese is bubbly and melted. Serve with garlic bread or garlic bread sticks.

Also, if you're like me and you're feeding kiddos who have issues with tomato chunks, something I do sometimes is blend the Rotel into a liquid state before adding it to the chicken. Doesn't affect the taste, and the kids stop complaining about chunky things.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Level
    Simple bean dip. Great while watching tv

medium sized baking pan

layer bottom with a decent amount of cream cheese

than on top add a layer of chili. Homemade or canned

i add jalepenos to that but optional

top with shredded mexican cheese and bake in oven on 375 till cheese is melted

add sour cream dollups or salsa or anything extra u like. Serve w tostitos

5. Back To Top    #15
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Level
    I do something similar. Sub refried beans for the chili and add a packet of taco seasoning. I'll have to try your way. Chili sounds good!

6. Back To Top    #16
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    709 Post(s)
    Level
    Since Christmas is nearly here, I thought I would share some family favorites

Old Fashioned Southern Pimento Cheese Spread
    Ingredients

• 1 lb Extra-Sharp or Sharp Cheddar Cheese (Grandmother used mild)

• ½ Yellow onion, grated with a microplane or on the smallest holes of a box grater

• ½ Cup Duke’s or Hellman’s/Best Brand Mayonnaise(not Salad dressing or mayo with sugar)

• 1/8 teaspoon red cayenne pepper or a few small shakes of your favorite hot sauce (Frank’s Hot Sauce or Sriracha = great)

• ½ jar (8 oz size) roasted red peppers, rinsed and diced fine, or you can substitute a small jar of diced pimentos to save time.

• Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

Instructions:
    • Grate the cheddar cheese (while very cold) on the largest side of a box grater.

• Grate the onion, over the bowl with the cheese, using a micro-plane grater or the smallest holes on a box grater. Secret: You want the onion juice, more than the onion flesh to flavor the spread. This secret ingredient makes it so fabulous!

• Lightly toss the mayo, ¼ cup at a time with the shredded cheese, onion and pimentos, adding more mayo if the mixture looks too dry. It should hold together and spread well, looking creamy. Add more mayo if you like- Duke’s and Best Foods brand make a huge difference in the taste so do not use another brand.

• Add in the red cayenne pepper or hot sauce, kosher salt and black pepper to taste. Refrigerate for 2 hours to allow the flavors to meld and taste again. Adjust salt and pepper if necessary. Usually best to make a day ahead and refrigerate so all the flavors bloom. Taste it again after it has been in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours in case you need to adjust the seasonings again.

• Serve at room temperature with French bread, Ritz crackers or fresh veggies crackers. Refrigerate extra for up to 6 days- Best when made the day before you plan to serve it. Great if doubled or halved.

My father loved the pimento cheese recipe my mother brought to their marriage so much that he ate it every day. I make it for holidays or potluck dinners now; it always brings back memories of my dad- the roughness of his tweed jacket against my cheek with the scents of bay rum, tobacco and hospital disinfectant. I feel as if my grandmother is in the kitchen with me, pearls, perfume and cut-glass accent as I grate and stir.

This is my grandmother's famous pound cake recipe- she won top honors at her State Fair once for this recipe and again later with a chocolate variation. I am the only one in the family who makes it now and it is my family's go to cake for weddings, celebrations and holidays.

Ingredients

3 1/4 cups plain flour

1 tsp. baking powder

3 cups sugar

1/2 pound butter, softened to room temperature

1/2 cup Crisco

1 tsp. vanilla

1 tsp. lemon extract

5 eggs

1 cup sweet milk

Process

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and have rack in the exact center of the oven before mixing the cake. Bring ingredients to room temperature before mixing to get satiny smooth texture and avoid overbeating the cake. (It's worth it)

Cream 1/2 cup Crisco with butter. Add sugar gradually and cream well until mixture is smooth, fully creamed together and does not feel gritty. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Add lemon and vanilla extracts. Add flour and milk- alternating after each and ending with milk .

Pour into greased tube pan and place in cold oven. Set temperature to 325 degrees, and bake for one hour. Cool in the pan for 30-45 minutes then slide a knife around the edges to loosen. Flip onto a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.

Glaze when completely cool.

Lemon Glaze Recipe

1 3/4 cups (7 ounces) confectioner's sugar
    1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    1 tsp. fresh lemon zest (avoid the bitter white pith)
    1 pinch kosher salt (Diamond Crystal is what I use, Morton’s will be too salty here)

Whisk all of the ingredients together in a medium bowl until smooth and let sit until thickened, about 25 minutes. Pour the glaze over the top of the cake after it has cooled completely, letting the glaze drip down the sides. I put the glaze into a plastic squeeze bottle to control application without wasting it. I glaze the cake with the cake on a cake board atop a wire rack set over a clean sheet pan to catch drips and make cleaning easy. You may want to put some foil or Saran Wrap underneath the cooling rack before glazing to catch any drips. Let the glaze set before serving, about 25 minutes.

- - - Updated - - -

Cheddar Cheese Bread- no mixer needed!

Makes one 9 by 5-inch loaf

If using Asiago, choose a mild supermarket cheese that yields to pressure when pressed. Aged Asiago that is as firm as Parmesan is too sharp and piquant for this bread. If, when testing the bread for doneness, the toothpick comes out with what looks like uncooked batter clinging to it, try again in a different—but still central—spot; if the toothpick hits a pocket of cheese, it may give a false reading. The texture of the bread improves as it cools, so resist the urge to slice the loaf while it is piping hot.

Leftover cheese bread is excellent toasted; toast slices in a toaster oven or on a baking sheet in a 425-degree oven for 5 to 10 minutes, not in a conventional toaster, where bits of cheese may melt, burn, and make a mess. Best with whole milk, but it will taste fine if you have only 2 percent milk on hand. Do not use skim milk.

INGREDIENTS

• 3ounces Parmesan cheese, shredded on large holes of box grater (about 1 cup) *(do not use green can Parmesan- it won't work and will burn)

• 3cups unbleached all-purpose flour (15 ounces)

• 1tablespoon baking powder

• 1/4teaspoon cayenne pepper

• 1teaspoon table salt

• 1/8teaspoon ground black pepper

• 4ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, cut into ½-inch cubes, or mild Asiago, crumbled into ¼- to ½-inch pieces (about 1 cup)

• 1 1/4cups whole milk

• 3tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

• 1 large egg beaten lightly

• 3/4cup sour cream (also great with low-fat Greek style yogurt but do not use fat free yogurt)

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 5 by 9-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray, then sprinkle 1/2 cup Parmesan evenly in bottom of pan.

2. In large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper to combine. Using rubber spatula, mix in cheddar or Asiago, breaking up clumps, until cheese is coated with flour. In medium bowl, whisk together milk, melted butter, egg, and sour cream. Using rubber spatula, gently fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just combined (batter will be heavy and thick). Do not overmix. Scrape batter into prepared loaf pan; spread to sides of pan and level surface with rubber spatula. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan evenly over surface.

3. Bake until deep golden brown and toothpick or skewer inserted in center of loaf comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack 5 minutes; invert loaf from pan and continue to cool until warm, about 45 minutes. Cut into slices and serve.

Freezing Instructions: Although the recipe title Quick Cheese Bread is no misnomer (the batter is in the pan in 15 minutes), when you add time for baking and cooling, the recipe does require a total of two hours. Luckily, like many of our other bread recipes, a baked loaf of cheese bread freezes beautifully, meaning a warm loaf need be only minutes away.

To freeze the bread, wrap the cooled loaf tightly with a double layer of aluminum foil and place in the freezer; it will keep for up to three months. When you’re ready to serve the bread, place the frozen, wrapped loaf on the middle rack of a preheated 375-degree oven and heat for eight to 10 minutes, until the loaf yields under gentle pressure. Remove the foil and return the unwrapped bread to the oven for five minutes to crisp the exterior. Take the bread out of the oven and let cool on a rack for 15 minutes to make slicing easier. Enjoy.

TECHNIQUE
    MAKING CHEESE BREAD

1. Coat bottom of greased loaf pan with Parmesan cheese to create flavorful crust.

2. Add cubed cheese to bowl with dry ingredients and mix well, breaking apart pieces that clump.

3. Whisk wet ingredients in second bowl. Pour into bowl with dry ingredients and fold until combined.

4. Scrape batter into prepared pan, sprinkle with remaining Parmesan, and bake.

I’ve had great results using all cheddar cheese inside the bread, half cheddar and half- Vidalia Onion Amish cheese, half cheddar, half Monterey Jack cheese and even half cheddar/half Colby cheese. Parmesan cheese on the bottom of the pan and top of bread is best though because the other cheeses burned when I tried to sub them out for that. Have fun and enjoy

7. Back To Top    #17
    Status
    Singing Sweet Home Alabama all summer long Sassenach's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Level
    Creamy Hot Cocoa (makes 4 servings)

1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1/2 cup white sugar

1 pinch salt

1/3 cup boiling water

3 1/2 cups milk

3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup half-and-half cream

Directions

Combine the cocoa, sugar and pinch of salt in a saucepan. Blend in the boiling water. Bring this mixture to an easy boil while you stir. Simmer and stir for about 2 minutes. Watch that it doesn't scorch. Stir in 3 1/2 cups of milk and heat until very hot, but do not boil! Remove from heat and add vanilla. Divide between 4 mugs. Add the cream to the mugs of cocoa to cool it to drinking temperature.

8. Back To Top    #18
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    709 Post(s)
    Level
    Found this out there- thought it might be useful for those who want to try some new things:)
    Spoiler Spoiler:

9. Back To Top    #19
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Level
    This was a huge hit at a family gathering recently

Artichoke Dip

1 can of artichoke hearts in water (Progresso works)
    1 cup mayo
    1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    4 oz chopped peeled green chili peppers (optional)

Chop artichoke hearts. Mix everything together. Put in small casserole dish or pie pan. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until brown on top. Serve with white corn chips, pita chips or crackers of your choice. Best when warm. (Can freeze and reheat later!)

10. Back To Top    #20
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    709 Post(s)
    Level
    This sounds great bravekat- thanks for sharing it!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast