1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Singing Sweet Home Alabama all summer long Sassenach's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Level

The Recipe Exchange

While reading through the “What are you eating” thread, I noticed that we don’t have a thread for sharing recipes.

So I’m starting one!

Want to share an old family recipe? Perhaps you have a gathering coming up that you need the perfect dish for. Request recipe suggestions/ideas here! Are you looking for the perfect dessert to make? Or maybe you just need an idea for dinner tonight.

Since our membership spans the entire globe, it would be great to share your regional favorites with everyone!

Let’s get cooking!

I'll start with something simple.

Since I get migraines, I am careful about eating things with preservatives that can trigger an attack. I love tacos but a lot of taco seasonings have MSG (a HUGE “stay the hell away from” for migraine sufferers!) added. So I make my own.

Taco Seasoning Mix (makes close to an ounce)

1 tablespoon chili powder
    ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
    ¼ teaspoon onion powder
    ¼ crushed red pepper flakes (or 1/8 teaspoon red cayenne pepper will do also! Make it as spicy as you want!)
    ¼ dried oregano
    ½ teaspoon paprika
    1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon sea salt
    1 teaspoon black pepper

Just mix it all together and store in an airtight container if you don't use it all. I use nearly all of the mix for about 1 lb of ground beef. It’s a great base recipe and you can add any other spices to it. (I sometimes will add a bit of minced onion)

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    709 Post(s)
    Level
    Great idea, Sassenach!

Roasted Sweet Potato Salad with Chili Dressing
    Makes 4 servings

4 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 Ibs.), peeled and cut into wedges or into large sticks

1 large onion, preferably red, sliced

6 Tablespoons olive oil (I use only 4 for a lighter dressing)

Salt and black pepper

2 tsp. chili powder, or to taste (I use chipotle for smoky flavor more than heat)

Juice of 2 limes

1 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1. Heat oven to 4OO°F. Put sweet
    potatoes and onion on large baking sheet,
    drizzle with 2 tbs. olive oil, toss to coat,
    and spread in single layer.

Sprinkle with salt and pepper; roast, turning occasion¬
    ally, until potatoes are crisp outside and
    just tender inside and onions are soft and
    brown, 35 to 45 minutes. Remove from
    oven; keep on pan until ready to dress.

2. Meanwhile, whisk together the
    remaining 6 tbs. (I just use 2) olive oil with chili powder,
    lime juice, and a pinch of salt and pepper.

3. Toss warm vegetables with dressing
    and cilantro. Taste and adjust seasonings
    if necessary.

Serve warm or at room
    temperature (or cover and refrigerate
    up to a day).

This is great with cold meats and reheats well in the microwave

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Level
    I too love the thread! Cooking is a big part of me as I will be going to school for culinary management and my dad owns a bakery. I could go all fancy pants recipe wise but I'll do approachable stuff for here :)

Golden raisin biscuits

2 cups ap flour
    1/2 cup confectioners sugar *
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    3/4 cup golden raisins
    1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter (frozen)
    1 cup cold cream (half and half can be used in place)

Preheat the oven to 400. Get the butter ice cold, combine the dry ingredients and the raisins. Add cold butter and barely incorporate it. Add cream (try and make sure your butter is still in chunks , do not overwork) work the dough until it forms together . Stamp out with a biscuit cutter (you could form by hand if you need to)

Don't butter the pan your cooking the biscuits on, alot of butter will leech out. Put the biscuits in the oven for 8 minutes on the first side, carefully flip and cook for 8 more minutes on the second side.

*sugar weighs down the dough. I reduced the amount of sugar over the times making the recipe and added more raisins.

I usually use these biscuits for dessert and put some ice cream in the middle and a fruit compote of some sort on the bottom. You could eat them plain though and they'd be just as good.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Level
    I have no idea what these are called, but they're brilliant.

1 cup of brown sugar
    1 cup of peanut butter
    1 cup of light Karo syrup
    2 cups of corn flakes
    2 cups of rice cereal

Melt the sugar, syrup, and peanut butter in a sauce pan until hot and combined well. Not boiling, just melted. Add cereal and stir. Drop by the spoonful on parchment paper and let them dry.

Then eat the whole batch, curl up in bed and cry because you're a fat shit. Repeat the next day. Or maybe that's just me...

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Ohh what a great idea.. I love recipe sharing.. Here is one my favorite recipes ..

Liz's Apple Cake

1 Cup Cooking Oil

1 Cup Sugar

2 Eggs

1 Tablespoon Cinn.

1 Teaspoon Vanilla Flavoring

3 Cups Canned Apples, or Apple Pie Mix, or 1 1/2 Cans Applesauce

1/2 Cup Chopped Walnuts or Pecans

3 Cups Self Rising Flour

Mix all the all ingredients well
    Pour Batter into a Baking Pan coated with Non Stick cooking spray
    Bake at 350 for 45 min.

Optional: Sometimes while the cake is still warm I lightly frost with Cream Cheese Frosting or Vanilla Frosting just enough to create a nice lil glaze.. Enjoy :)

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    709 Post(s)
    Level
    No ice Cream Machine-Needed Margarita Ice Cream (serves 6)

Easy to make and a real showstopper! I like to serve this in martini or margarita glasses dipped in lime juice then frosted with extra-fine sugar mixed with lime zest (1/4 cup granulated sugar to 1 tablespoon of fresh lime zest) . Worth having just once a year...

1/2 cup lime juice

3 Tablespooons triple sec

2 Tablespoons tequila

1 1/4 cups XXX Powdered sugar (icing sugar to the UK)

2 cups heavy cream

1 pinch table salt

Pour the lime juice, triple sec and tequila into a bowl and stir in the powdered sugar until dissolved. Add the cream and then whip until thick and smooth, but not stiff or with peaks. Spoon into a freezer-safe container for 8 hours; the alcohol keeps ice crystals from forming so it will never set rock-hard. No need to soften before serving.

Adapted from Nigella Lawson's recipe.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripley View Post
    No ice Cream Machine-Needed Margarita Ice Cream (serves 6)

Easy to make and a real showstopper! I like to serve this in martini or margarita glasses dipped in lime juice then frosted with extra-fine sugar mixed with lime zest (1/4 cup granulated sugar to 1 tablespoon of fresh lime zest) . Worth having just once a year...

1/2 cup lime juice

3 Tablespooons triple sec

2 Tablespoons tequila

1 1/4 cups XXX Powdered sugar (icing sugar to the UK)

2 cups heavy cream

1 pinch table salt

Pour the lime juice, triple sec and tequila into a bowl and stir in the powdered sugar until dissolved. Add the cream and then whip until thick and smooth, but not stiff or with peaks. Spoon into a freezer-safe container for 8 hours; the alcohol keeps ice crystals from forming so it will never set rock-hard. No need to soften before serving.

Adapted from Nigella Lawson's recipe.
    Excellent. I'll try it but I'll make it one serving :)

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Pork Chop Casserole

Ingredients

*Pork Chops ( I use boneless)
    Potatoes - Pealed
    1 Large Can Cream of Mushroom Soup or 2 small cans
    1 Cup Water

In a baking dish cut up and layer potatoes...salt and pepper to taste...then pour a can of
    cream of mushroom soup over top of the potatoes...then add 1/2 cup of water..then add pork chops ....

Cover with foil and bake @ 400 degrees for 30 min. then remove foil and let bake for another
    5-10 min.

*You can also use Bonless Chicken Breast or Bonless Chicken Strips in this recipe instead of
    Pork Chops ... My family love it made both ways.. Enjoy!!!

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Level
    I've recently gotten into this method of frosting a cake where you use a Viva paper towel to smooth out buttercream frosting. It has to be a Viva paper towel because it has no indentions or designs. It can also be done with a high density foam roller, which apparently you can find at craft or hardware stores, but I've had no luck finding one. Anyway, I thought I would post the recipe for the buttercream frosting I found that works the best for this method.

1 stick of salted butter (room temperature)
    1 1/2 cups of vegetable shortening (I don't recommend Crisco brand. It works but not as well as a generic vegetable shortening. There is nothing healthy about this recipe, you want shortening with lots of transfat--and Crisco brand has none.)
    1/8 cup of water
    1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
    2 pounds of powdered sugar
    Another 1/8 cup (give or take) of water

First you cream together the butter and shortening until it is white, fluffy, and totally smooth. Then beat in first 1/8 cup of water and the vanilla. Once it's combined well, add the whole bag of powdered sugar. Mix slowly. It will start to thicken up and that is where the rest of the water comes in. You really just add it until the frosting is the consistency you want. It will vary depending on the humidity in your area. You may need more water, you may need less. For the smoothing method, you want it thick enough to be spreadable, but not so thick it tears your cake.

When it's all mixed, you can dye it, or leave it white. If you dye it, you'll want to use gel food coloring. Liquid food coloring will mess with the consistency of the frosting and thin it out. Pipe the frosting onto a cake or take a knife or spatula or whatever you prefer and slather it onto a cake. Doesn't have to be pretty at this point. Allow the cake to sit and "crust" for a few minutes. Then smooth it with a paper towel. Below is a link to how the smoothing method is done (she uses a fondant smoother for some of it, but if you don't have one, it's no big deal, I just use my hands) with a Viva paper towel and a picture of a cake I've done using this method. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8g-qma7jLQ&sns=em

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Level
    U sharing that cake? Looks absolutely ravishing.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast