Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    709 Post(s)
    Level

4.01 & 4.02 Spoilers: Tyreese Sings, Carol is Daryl's "partner" & Beth loses a love!

Thanks to tenten32321 for sharing this !

First 2 paragraphs:

[Editor's Note: This review contains spoilers.] There are two notable moments that feature singing in "Infected," the second episode of the fourth season of The Walking Dead. The first occurs in the opening sequence, in which Tyreese (Chad L. Coleman) serenades his new lover with Cole Porter's "I've Got You Under My Skin," a sweet moment that doubles as a macabre bit of foreshadowing. As the title of the episode implies, the fact that the disease that spurred the zombie outbreak lies dormant in the living is where the fourth season finds its initial narrative itch.

Tyreese's intimate moment is also indicative of the fleeting utopia our hero, Rick (Andrew Lincoln), has realized at an abandoned prison that serves as sanctuary for a large group of survivors, now governed by a counsel led by Rick in the wake of his defeat over David Morrissey's Governor. As the season opens, Rick seems just as taken with his gardening and farmhand skills as he is with the cluster of the undead pressing against the outer gate. Daryl (Norman Reedus), Rick's right-hand man, still leads dangerous trips to the outside world for supplies, but these excursions are now carried out with disciplined precision; inside the prison, Carol (Melissa McBride), Daryl's partner and another member of the counsel, reads stories and teaches survival tactics to the children. What we see in the season premiere, tellingly titled "30 Days Without an Accident," is not just civilization being rebuilt, but a simplified society...

Last paragraph:
    "While trying to comfort Rick's daughter, a living, breathing emblem of the next generation, Beth sings a few bars of Tom Waits's indelible "I Don't Want to Grow Up," a song that ruefully mocks the idea of maturing and turning out the same as the last generation. As she sings, Carol questions if the song is appropriate, and Beth responds that it's what she knows, and that she prefers it to the more morbid imagery in classic lullabies and nursery rhymes. It's a quiet, endearing moment that reinforces the show's belief in mythology being elementally personal and subjective in origin, and the true exhilaration of The Walking Dead remains watching a new, fantastical history rise from the grave of the America we know"

Read the entire piece here

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Level
    Yay for Daryl and Carol maybe being a thing!

Boo for Beth losing her love interest already but I am intrigued that she doesn't give a shit. Maybe she's gonna have a hardened personality this season.

Tyreese has got the singing bug too.. Oh well, I can deal with that and Beth sings again which doesn't shock me.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Level
    So that's a different take on Beth's grief. Not the extreme many were anticipating, but a jaded response. Interesting.

I know the article calls Carol Daryl's "partner", but, to me, at least, I don't necessarily think that means they're romantically involved.

I gotta say, I know we don't know Tyreese/Karen and we won't know their relationship well, but him singing to her? I'm kinda already feeling crushed for him.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by tenten32321 View Post
    Yay for Daryl and Carol maybe being a thing!

Boo for Beth losing her love interest already but I am intrigued that she doesn't give a shit. Maybe she's gonna have a hardened personality this season.

Tyreese has got the singing bug too.. Oh well, I can deal with that and Beth sings again which doesn't shock me.
    I like that she doesn't care as well. That will be much more interesting than her losing her mind or some shit.

The reviewer could just be misinterpreting Carol and Daryl's relationship, or perhaps we're looking at "partner" wrong.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AlVan View Post
    I like that she doesn't care as well. That will be much more interesting than her losing her mind or some shit.

The reviewer could just be misinterpreting Carol and Daryl's relationship, or perhaps we're looking at "partner" wrong.
    perhaps, but I'm not so sure. Along with that picture that we got of Daryl with his arm around Carol (if its not a bts pic), and the review that said there was a pairing that would set Tumblr aflame, this review clinches it for me.

Maybe Beth is the evil one and the traitor (though I doubt it). It's fun to speculate about though.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Level
    Crap don't know how i feel about Caryl. I'm just going to worry about Carol the whole season.

Don't really care about beth and her singing i find it annoying.

I think tyreese singing will be funny and tragic.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    709 Post(s)
    Level
    Sure, it is true that "partner" can mean many things so it is great to keep those meanings in mind since we know editors like having their "articles, including reviews" tweeted, discussed and sent whizzing around all forms of social media. Good for business, that. But some of us may dream of whatever we wish...

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    I'm actually excited about another nod to Tom Waits (and a few other things from this review, i won't lie :-).

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Agree 100% with Tenten on the first paragraph! I am now a confirmed believer that the two finally hook up after reading all these reviews! I aaaaaammmm soooooooo thrilled and excited to watch the premier!
    Last edited by hotbabe; October 7th, 2013 at 04:52 PM. Reason: no quote

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    "Partner" to me seems like such a good way to describe their relationship. With the amount of baggage both Daryl and Carol bring with them, you really can't reasonably expect a lovey-dovey, cutsie romance, or a wild and torrid affair. Can't deny though that they support, encourage, protect, depend on each other.. "partner" seems very appropriate. I can see it.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast