Page 43 of 53 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #421
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Level
    I'm going to have to check those two authors out, especially the works you mentioned by them, always am up for new books to read especially ones that are/deal with similar themes to Camus' own work. It's fascinating how writers use their own situations to parallel other authors and their own personal conflicts within their books. Some have said that 'The Guest' is a direct parallel to how Camus felt about the French/Arab conflict in his native Algeria. He was torn between both worlds and wanted desperately to find a reconciliation point between the two which sadly he was never able to and died before he could see how the conflict ended.

Also I dig that quote, reading it the first time really struck me, a second time even deeper, and on the third time solidified that "Another Country" is going to be a book that I look up today for sure and most likely will buy if I find it for a good price. Thank you for mentioning the author of the book as well as the other author.

2. Back To Top    #422
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Level
    The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

3. Back To Top    #423
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Level
    The book is dated bc it's set in the 1960's but that line was something for me too. I have marked up that book like a textbook :) On a related note about the power of influence, I never read "The Stranger" but its on my book self so, I started reading it today. Hope to be done soon. We can compare notes on that too.

4. Back To Top    #424
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Level
    I highly recommend "The Devil All the Time" by Donald Ray Pollock. It's very gritty, violent and thrilling. I'd say it's a crime-thriller mixed with Southern Gothic. The first time I read it I was just shocked at how much I liked it considering how dark and twisted all the characters are. It's just a brilliantly fucked up book haha.

I also recommend all of David Wong's books. They are weird and hilarious. He writes comedy/horror with a heavy supernatural or scifi influence and it works perfectly. If youve seen the movie "John Dies at the End" and like it you'll love the book even more and If you've seen the movie and didn't understand it I'd recommend reading the book because it is 10 times better.

5. Back To Top    #425
    Status
    Queen Rose of The Kingdom Carl's Right Eye's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    The City of Mirrors. Again. I was lucky enough to get an advance copy from my friend in the book business. It is an awesome conclusion to The Passage triology by Justin Cronin. If you're into post-apocalyptic fiction, The Passage, The Twelve and The City of Mirrors are great reads. The books are a different take on vampires or "virals" as they are called in the novels. These aren't Twilight vampires but are genetically engineered killers.

6. Back To Top    #426
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Huner with a T View Post
    I highly recommend "The Devil All the Time" by Donald Ray Pollock. It's very gritty, violent and thrilling. I'd say it's a crime-thriller mixed with Southern Gothic. The first time I read it I was just shocked at how much I liked it considering how dark and twisted all the characters are. It's just a brilliantly fucked up book haha.

I also recommend all of David Wong's books. They are weird and hilarious. He writes comedy/horror with a heavy supernatural or scifi influence and it works perfectly. If youve seen the movie "John Dies at the End" and like it you'll love the book even more and If you've seen the movie and didn't understand it I'd recommend reading the book because it is 10 times better.

Why did I not see this the first time. I think I was so deep in discussion about Camus that I didn't read the second part of your post. OMG-David Wong a rarity. It feels like he is just having a conversation with you. I didn't see the movie and don't really want to bc they mostly kill the reading experience and here's the thing I didn't read the first book and now that I am reading the Stranger this week (which any mortal should be able to get through in a day but I seem unable to do). So, I would love to know favorite quotes, if you have any? the whole description in the beginning about an attractive prisoner with boobs tattooed on his back....I was hooked!

7. Back To Top    #427
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by beethedead View Post
    [/B]
    Why did I not see this the first time. I think I was so deep in discussion about Camus that I didn't read the second part of your post. OMG-David Wong a rarity. It feels like he is just having a conversation with you. I didn't see the movie and don't really want to bc they mostly kill the reading experience and here's the thing I didn't read the first book and now that I am reading the Stranger this week (which any mortal should be able to get through in a day but I seem unable to do). So, I would love to know favorite quotes, if you have any? the whole description in the beginning about an attractive prisoner with boobs tattooed on his back....I was hooked!
    I haven't read it in a while but between "John Dies at the End" and "This Book is Full of Spiders" there are several quotes that I enjoyed. What I like most about David Wong's style of writing is it is fun and weird, but underneath it all it's a very involved and deep story. Since you have read the second book I would recommend reading the first one. Wong also has another book that came out that I read called "Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits" it's a whole new storyline, but it's very action-packed thrilling and of course funny! I'm pretty sure I was hooked on that book right after I read the first paragraph lol.

8. Back To Top    #428
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Huner with a T View Post
    I haven't read it in a while but between "John Dies at the End" and "This Book is Full of Spiders" there are several quotes that I enjoyed. What I like most about David Wong's style of writing is it is fun and weird, but underneath it all it's a very involved and deep story. Since you have read the second book I would recommend reading the first one. Wong also has another book that came out that I read called "Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits" it's a whole new storyline, but it's very action-packed thrilling and of course funny! I'm pretty sure I was hooked on that book right after I read the first paragraph lol.
    Yes. This book has some insightful undercurrents even apart from the sci-fi elements. Something as simple as are you Batman oris as meaningful as what I was talking to @zNapstablook about earlier..namely, being upfront. If the first book is as funny and insightful then it is deff on my must read list.

9. Back To Top    #429
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Level
    I have four books on the go right now;

1. Matilda Bone by Karen Cushman
    2. Private: Invitation Only by Kate Brian
    3. Animal Ark: Owl in the Office by Ben M. Baglio
    4. The Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson Levine

And a magazine. XD

10. Back To Top    #430
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Level
    Nobody came by Robbie Garner with Tom Maguire (it's a really hard reading especially when you know it's a true story)

Page 43 of 53 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast