Page 5 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #41
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    709 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by King Grimes View Post
    I'm currently reading some interesting fan-fiction of an author. It's a thrilling story really, but mostly about sabotage. You see there was this one person - a snake if you will, that got some sources from her company fired. The CEO let her stay around even though she did not deserve it, but she wasn't trusted afterwards. But the snake did not appreciate the good will of the CEO and went underground and began to poison the minds of impressionable people she'd met. Together they all decided to cause trouble for the company. But what the snake didn't know was that one of the people she called a friend was actually a foe that leaked info back to the CEO of the company. The CEO knows all about the plans, and receives daily reports about them. It's a thrilling story really. The snake has no idea that she can't trust those around her. If only she knew.
    Sounds to me as though Lindsay Lohan would be the perfect star for the lead role in a film made from this wonderful story on many levels... what a pity all my likes are carling

2. Back To Top    #42
    Status
    I am King, everything is possible. King Grimes's Avatar
    Threads
    Mentioned
    742 Post(s)
    Level
    It really is. Best part? The CEO knows everyone who was in league with snake.. every single one of them, even those that think they are top secret, even the friends of a friend of a friend. The CEO was hoping they'd realize their folly and stop their sabotage attempt, but they haven't yet. I have a little more of the story to go though, but there's still hope.

3. Back To Top    #43
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by King Grimes View Post
    I'm currently reading some interesting fan-fiction of an author. It's a thrilling story really, but mostly about sabotage. You see there was this one person - a snake if you will, that got some sources from her company fired. The CEO let her stay around even though she did not deserve it, but she wasn't trusted afterwards. But the snake did not appreciate the good will of the CEO and went underground and began to poison the minds of impressionable people she'd met. Together they all decided to cause trouble for the company. But what the snake didn't know was that one of the people she called a friend was actually a foe that leaked info back to the CEO of the company. The CEO knows all about the plans, and receives daily reports about them. It's a thrilling story really. The snake has no idea that she can't trust those around her. If only she knew.
    This story sounds dramatic and intense!

Quote Originally Posted by Ripley View Post
    Sounds to me as though Lindsay Lohan would be the perfect star for the lead role in a film made from this wonderful story on many levels... what a pity all my likes are carling
    It's ashame she's in rehab now, she'd be a perfect fit.

4. Back To Top    #44
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by shinyfirefly View Post
    Regarding Mockingjay, I had read that the author stated that her experience was with play writing and therefore, all of the Hunger Games trilogy books were written in that format because she felt that it was foolproof. I loved the books. Watched the movie first though, and fell totally in love with Jennifer Lawrence.

- - - Updated - - -

I just finished the Mortal Instruments series and the Infernal Devices trilogy. My sons are avid readers and bought them all for me for Mother's Day. Haven't cried over a passage in a book in many years.
    Infernal Devices remains one of my favourite series of all time.
    I think I know the passage you mean. I pretty much wept.
    It was also rumored that Peter Jackson is extremely keen to develop this into a movie. I hope so.

Anyway, I'm currently re-reading the Artemis Fowl series. I first picked this up when I was 11 and the last book came out this year.
    I have read the whole series countless times. I don't know why, but it's just my favourite.

5. Back To Top    #45
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    I'm currently reading '1984' by George Orwell. I'm sure you all know it, such a wonderful and interesting book.

Absolutely love these two passages:

“Now I will tell you the answer to my question. It is this. The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power, pure power. What pure power means you will understand presently. We are different from the oligarchies of the past in that we know what we are doing. All the others, even those who resembled ourselves, were cowards and hypocrites. The German Nazis and the Russian Communists came very close to us in their methods, but they never had the courage to recognize their own motives. They pretended, perhaps they even believed, that they had seized power unwillingly and for a limited time, and that just around the corner there lay a paradise where human beings would be free and equal. We are not like that. We know what no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now you begin to understand me.”

And:

“Power is in tearing human minds to pieces and putting them together again in new shapes of your own choosing.”

One of my favorites books. Very inspiring and still very relevant. A book about lies, corruption of power, blindness and rebellion.

I also like the part where seemingly nice people and friends turn out to be not friendly at all. Like Mr. Charrington and O'Brien.

6. Back To Top    #46
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by MrNonsensical View Post
    I'm currently reading '1984' by George Orwell. I'm sure you all know it, such a wonderful and interesting book.
    Absolutely love these two passages:
    “Now I will tell you the answer to my question. It is this. The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power, pure power. What pure power means you will understand presently. We are different from the oligarchies of the past in that we know what we are doing. All the others, even those who resembled ourselves, were cowards and hypocrites. The German Nazis and the Russian Communists came very close to us in their methods, but they never had the courage to recognize their own motives. They pretended, perhaps they even believed, that they had seized power unwillingly and for a limited time, and that just around the corner there lay a paradise where human beings would be free and equal. We are not like that. We know what no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now you begin to understand me.”
    And:
    “Power is in tearing human minds to pieces and putting them together again in new shapes of your own choosing.”
    One of my favorites books. Very inspiring and still very relevant. A book about lies, corruption of power, blindness and rebellion.

I also like the part where seemingly nice people and friends turn out to be not friendly at all. Like Mr. Charrington and O'Brien.
    What a fantastic read MrN.
    When I first read that book in high school, it taught me a great deal about life.
    I have never forgotten those lessons. Even now - I am constantly aware of them.

7. Back To Top    #47
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Level
    I've been reading the Dark Tower series for the first time.

I've gotten to The Drawing of the Three as of this month and, no surprise, it's superb. I was initially wary if King could pull off writing a mix between western and fantasy (let alone either of those two things), but.....he's quelled whatever doubts I may have had.

8. Back To Top    #48
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Wow how did i not find this before!!!! Well they all sound like classics yet i'm still here finishing reading Harry Potter.....although i have read some epic reviews. That have had Voldemort compared to Hitler and actually its not far off even Rowling acknowledged this. Voldemort is the ruthless leader of a small group of supporters. They must follow his mantra or pay the price to various degrees Igor Karkaroff with his life and Lucius Malfoy a demotion. Loyalty is demanded in Voldemorts regime as a matter of utmost importance. Thus these followers like Bellatrix Lestrange, Peter Pettigrew and Fenrir Greyback are often fanatical in their beliefs, following out of fear or are just vindictive by nature. This bunch then will follow their lord on his campaign.
    A campaign to purify whats deemed as his people. To pass and be decided as pure strict guidelines must met. Be a pure blood, anything else should be eradicated. However being pure blood does not guarantee success in the regime. By fighting against the oppression George Weasley, Cedric Diggory, Mad-Eye Moody and James Potter all lost their lives despite required blood status. Also there is the anamoly of werewolves in the regime. Bellatrix is outraged and upset when her niece Nymphadora Tonks marries Remus Lupin and calls Lupin an animal and scorns him. Yet she has no issues with Fenrir being her comrade despite him being a werewolf himself. The Reason? Fenrir is malicious and vindictive and suits the Dark Lords needs. The rules can change as it suits the Dark Lord

Basically I read a childrens book...but i have seen it described as that before hahaha made me feel pure smart and class haha. Nothing like George Orwell though :/

9. Back To Top    #49
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    709 Post(s)
    Level
    Well I have also read these books, 1984 and everything Orwell wrote, The Dark Tower series and everything King has written as well as the Harry Potter series and The Casual Vacancy which I also recommend as a great read. That's the benefit of age, lots of life experience and time for more reading !

I am that rare person who studies sharks and spiders and snakes with many excellent books read about them, standard herpetology text by the way. I understand how snake venoms work in very interesting insidious ways and I understand that many people also find snakes beautiful- look up a blue Atheris Squamigera online and see the delicate coloring and gorgeous keeled scales.

But I have killed copperheads before, just last week in fact as one was in my garden and less than a foot away when it's size made it capable of striking me where I knelt. And no matter how beautiful the snake was, it's venom is no less deadly nor the risk of harm no weaker. So I killed it to make sure it could not harm my family or neighbors.

On topic: Back to books though, sorry- I suggest Bright Young Things, about a group of young people all with various talents but who discovered in the end they wasted their potential by getting too caught up in the seductive glamour of a TRUE snake!

10. Back To Top    #50
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Thats the downside of where I live i dont see any such animals....a dog is probably the most dangerous animal here :/ i still like reading bits about animals like Konodo dragons and stuff so i might read some of them.....and killing that snake could mean you destroyed the final horcrux :P
    anywho yes on topic.
    I will probably read some of Tolkiens work again after Harry Potter I love LOTR! Altough Orcs and Sauron are akin to Death Eaters and Lord Voldemort....maybe i should just read of Mice and Men by Stienbeck take a break from the whole oppression and rulers stuff hahaha! Only book from school i enjoyed "the best laid plans of mice and men gang aft a gley"...actually is that from a poem I think?

Page 5 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast