Page 34 of 53 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #331
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by lakin1013 View Post
    Station Eleven - just finished it (it was a nominee for the National Book award, 2014). It is about the end of the world, after a flu wiped out the majority of the world population, and somehow this book made it boring, dull, and tedious. I did not think it was possible.
    I read that as well. It didn't keep my interest at first (tedious just about sums it up) but I kept going (slogging along) and it got so much better. Sort of an alternate universe at times. Honestly, I picked it up before I read the reviews and knew it had been nominated simply because I was intrigued by the cover.

Speaking of alternate universe, I really enjoyed The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell, the author of Cloud Atlas.

2. Back To Top    #332
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    501 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rosie View Post
    @Nimbus, sadly Ann Rule passed away today. She was 84. May she R.I.P.

She certainly entertained me over the years with her well written true crime stories.
    @rosie I just saw the news. So sad, but what a great legacy she has left behind with her truly fascinating work. As you say may she R.I.P.

3. Back To Top    #333
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by blackjackandcoke88 View Post
    The White Rose by Inge Scholl. It's about Sophie and Hans Scholl (her brother and sister) who started an anti-Fascist resistance at the University of Munich during the height of Nazi Germany and got killed by a court order. Fascinating read.
    I just saw the movie about her. I will have to read this book. She was wise beyond her years.

4. Back To Top    #334
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by lakin1013 View Post
    Station Eleven - just finished it (it was a nominee for the National Book award, 2014). It is about the end of the world, after a flu wiped out the majority of the world population, and somehow this book made it boring, dull, and tedious. I did not think it was possible.
    That's so disappointing. I've been on my library's wait list for this book and it's probably been a waste of time. Ah well, I just get to move onto better books.

5. Back To Top    #335
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Level
    Americanah, I've always been in love with literature, but long ago I do not get involved either with a book. I already feel intimate Ifemelu and I want to know everything about her world.

6. Back To Top    #336
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae View Post
    That's so disappointing. I've been on my library's wait list for this book and it's probably been a waste of time. Ah well, I just get to move onto better books.
    Station Eleven has to have something going for it to be a National Book award nominee. I went to Amazon and I was shocked at the number of people who gave it a 5 star review (5 stars was best). The idea about a worldwide killer flu was interesting but I could not attach to the main characters. Maybe you will love it, because so many have.

7. Back To Top    #337
    Status
    True Happiness Begins Within Lilac Fields's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Level
    ~~ I started reading, The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle as they first appeared in the British magazine The Strand. Reproduced in complete facsimile. It's like touching history. ~~~~

8. Back To Top    #338
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Level
    I am reading Warbreaker, from Brandon Sanderson. Just started but it looks interesting.

But it is Brandon Sanderson, this guy could write a shopping list and make it interesting. I've read many of his books already, and all of them were great.

9. Back To Top    #339
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacy Dixon View Post
    And Runaway Jury by John Grisham (goddamn this book is boring as hell so far, nothing like A Time to Kill...)
    There's so many good books of his, but that one is definitely not one of my favourites.

I'm trying to reread the Clive Cussler series of books. Only on the second one so far.

Anyone have any suggestions for post-apolocyptic books to read? I've read a few and I'm looking for more. If I ever got my ass in gear, I would try to work on a story about an end-of-days scenario.

10. Back To Top    #340
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by hoogie View Post
    There's so many good books of his, but that one is definitely not one of my favourites.

I'm trying to reread the Clive Cussler series of books. Only on the second one so far.

Anyone have any suggestions for post-apolocyptic books to read? I've read a few and I'm looking for more. If I ever got my ass in gear, I would try to work on a story about an end-of-days scenario.
    I'd recommend Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake. It's the first book in her Maddadam trilogy: http://www.amazon.com/Oryx-Crake-Mar.../dp/0385721676

If you like short stories, then you might be interested in reading Wastelands. It's a 2 volume anthology edited by John Joseph Adams and great exposure to other writers in the post-apocalyptic field. He's also edited other anthologies about the undead and dystopian societies. http://www.amazon.com/Wastelands-Joh...the+apocalypse

Page 34 of 53 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast