Page 44 of 53 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #431
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Level
    I'm really having a hard time finding books to read lately, but right now I'm reading Bossypants by Tina Fey. It's pretty enjoyable and funny.

2. Back To Top    #432
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by hoogie View Post
    I'm really having a hard time finding books to read lately, but right now I'm reading Bossypants by Tina Fey. It's pretty enjoyable and funny.
    I don't know your genre but if funny is your thing , have you ever read David Sedaris? Comedy is subjective, but "Naked" (ignore the title) and "Me Talk Pretty Someday" autobiographical fun!

3. Back To Top    #433
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Level
    Hey, @zNapstablook, so proud of myself. I finished The Stranger. I sat outside and read at the expense of my lawn! It was worth it. By the time Camus got to the verdict, I was so angry at the circumstances of the main character and the court (society) who judged him on all of the wrong merits. It was an excellent read!

4. Back To Top    #434
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by beethedead View Post
    Hey, @zNapstablook, so proud of myself. I finished The Stranger. I sat outside and read at the expense of my lawn! It was worth it. By the time Camus got to the verdict, I was so angry at the circumstances of the main character and the court (society) who judged him on all of the wrong merits. It was an excellent read!
    Yayyyy!!! I'm glad you finished it, even if it was at the expense of your lawn. :) I felt the same way...I felt so bad for the main character...he is the literal embodiment of the 'absurd man' and society just could not understand, or give him any sort of empathy and saw him as nothing but a monster, a menace to society. The ending blew me away, the talk with the priest...and then...those last few pages...the last few lines...just breathtaking. I can't say enough how overjoyed I am that you felt it was an excellent read. If you loved that book, then you will most certainly love his others.

The Plague - This is a much more positive book then 'The Stranger', the protagonist is the 'absurd man' turned outward, realizing what the world is and instead of treating it with indifference he acts, takes hold of his life, and does some incredible things with it.

The Fall - I don't want to say much about this little book...but wow...this is perhaps my favorite Camus novel, reading it is a psychological trip. There is a lot of subtle cues/hints that many people miss when reading that are crucial to understand what Camus is getting at.

The First Man - The uncompleted semi-autobiographically novel that he was writing at the time of his death, a beautiful piece of work for what it is, I would also recommend this work even though one can tell he was still editing it.

Another important thing to consider in his works is that he had 'cycles' planned (about 3 or 4), which I can go more into later but they really help put his works in perspective when reading them!

5. Back To Top    #435
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Level
    "...I felt so bad for the main character...he is the literal embodiment of the 'absurd man' and society just could not understand, or give him any sort of empathy and saw him as nothing but a monster, a menace to society. The ending blew me away, the talk with the priest...and then...those last few pages...the last few lines...just breathtaking. I can't say enough how overjoyed I am that you felt it was an excellent read. If you loved that book, then you will most certainly love his others."
    Oh, @zNapstablook! THIS ^^^^^ You summed it up, exactly. I gasped when they delivered the verdict. I didn't expect that, at all! It was crushing. He was learning to adapt to live in his own head, in his small world and they took even that. Yes, I saw the absurdity of the judgment, of the hated, of how they made decisions about the prisoner's value based on bull like whether he cried or not. People are tried and condemned in the court of public opinion. It happens all of the time, sadly. Im going to commit to reading these but I may be slow. Good thing I can take them to the shore with me! But, I will have to put a sign on my yard bc those weeds will never get pulled...lol! Thanks for discussing books with me. I'm loving the conversation!!

6. Back To Top    #436
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Level
    I don't know your genre but if funny is your thing , have you ever read David Sedaris? Comedy is subjective, but "Naked" (ignore the title) and "Me Talk Pretty Someday" autobiographical fun!
    I've read some of it, yeah. It's pretty good. I might try Sarah Silverman's book next, or whatever else I have downloaded over the past couple years.

I just started reading Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon.

7. Back To Top    #437
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Level
    I've read some of it, yeah. It's pretty good. I might try Sarah Silverman's book next, or whatever else I have downloaded over the past couple years.

I just started reading Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon.
    Ah, yeah, I heard good stuff about the Sarah Silverman book. I forgot about that. Gravity's Rainbow, hmm, never hrard of it. I have to look it up! Nice reading recommendations. Thanks!

8. Back To Top    #438
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Level
    Ah, yeah, I heard good stuff about the Sarah Silverman book. I forgot about that. Gravity's Rainbow, hmm, never hrard of it. I have to look it up! Nice reading recommendations. Thanks!
    It's been hard to get into, but it sounds interesting. I'm going to give it more of a chance.

9. Back To Top    #439
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Level
    It's been hard to get into, but it sounds interesting. I'm going to give it more of a chance.
    It's the hiatus; the perfect time to try to read a book over the break. Besides, how many polls can we answer about who got the bat, who was in the shadow of the bat and how TPTB are spinning the cliffhanger today! LOL ...

10. Back To Top    #440
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Level
    I find free and/or fun books on kindle and read them rapidly one after another. I devour them. :)
    Usually I have longer more serious books that I'm reading, often mystery types, but right now my extra books are Reliquary by Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child, and Stephanie Plum's 17th book, whatever it's called (lose track of those numbered names, maybe Sizzling 17, or Sexy 17, or Shut Up 17, whatever) by Janet Evanovich. She cracks me up. :)

Page 44 of 53 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast