Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 242505152
  1. Back To Top    #511
    Status
    Threads
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Level
    I am going to see if i can get my hands on a copy of "On The Beach" by Nevil Shute this weekend as the missus and I travel 'round...

2. Back To Top    #512
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Level
    So I'm like 30 odd chapters into this 300 chapter SK novel, Sleeping Beauties, and it's good, damned good, but I think I may be experiencing buyers regret, never-the-less, not sure I have the constitution for commitment right now....but how do I break up with this book...lol! I hate to leave things unfinished...help!! (Really...)

3. Back To Top    #513
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Level
    I just finished "The Dry", by Jane Harper. She's an Australian author so I don't know if she's available in the US, but if you like crime novels I'd definitely recommend it if you can track it down. She has a great gift for capturing the landscape and the atmosphere (it's set in a small town being slowly crushed by drought-induced despair) in a sparse yet descriptive style. Authentic & sympathetic characters & an intriguing storyline. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

4. Back To Top    #514
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiet One View Post
    I just finished "The Dry", by Jane Harper. She's an Australian author so I don't know if she's available in the US, but if you like crime novels I'd definitely recommend it if you can track it down. She has a great gift for capturing the landscape and the atmosphere (it's set in a small town being slowly crushed by drought-induced despair) in a sparse yet descriptive style. Authentic & sympathetic characters & an intriguing storyline. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
    i js looked this up! It's got great reviews...thanks for the tip...i might js give it a look!!

5. Back To Top    #515
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by beethedead View Post
    i js looked this up! It's got great reviews...thanks for the tip...i might js give it a look!!
    It just won the UK Crime Writers' Association's Gold Dagger Award for Best Crime Novel & has won numerous awards here in Australia, so it's obviously not just me who enjoyed it - it was her debut novel, too! I hope you like it!

6. Back To Top    #516
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Level
    The Bird Box is a perfect October read. Once you start, you wont be able to stop!!! It's an apocalyptic novel that scares the crap out of you because of what you don't see! its all sensory and the monster in your brain is always the most terrifying.

7. Back To Top    #517
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Level
    Inside The Dream Palace : The Life and Times of New York's Legendary Chelsea Hotel by Sherill Tippins

Fascinating place~

8. Back To Top    #518
    Status
    A Bargain at Twice the Price! Beatrice's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    1222 Post(s)
    Level
    A Gentleman in Moscow: A Novel by Amor Towles. I can't put it down.

An Amazon Best Book of September 2016: A Gentleman in Moscow is the utterly entertaining second novel from the author of Rules of Civility. Amor Towles skillfully transports us to The Metropol, the famed Moscow hotel where movie stars and Russian royalty hobnob, where Bolsheviks plot revolutions and intellectuals discuss the merits of contemporary Russian writers, where spies spy, thieves thieve and the danger of twentieth century Russia lurks outside its marbled walls. It’s also where wealthy Count Alexander Rostov lives under house arrest for a poem deemed incendiary by the Bolsheviks, and meets Nina. Nina is a precocious and wide-eyed young girl who holds the keys to the entire hotel, wonders what it means to be a princess, and will irrevocably change his life. Despite being confined to the hallway of the hotel, the Count lives an absorbing, adventure-filled existence, filled with capers, conspiracies and culture. Alexander Rostov is a character for the ages--like Kay Thompson’s Eloise and Wes Anderson’s M. Gustav, he is unflinchingly (and hilariously for readers) devoted to his station, even when forced to wait tables, play hide and seek with a young girl, or confront communism. Towles magnificently conjures the grandeur of the Russian hotel and the vibrancy of the characters that call it home. --Al Woodworth, The Amazon Book Review

9. Back To Top    #519
    Status
    Jaywalking Loiterer Shane's Addiction's Avatar

Threads
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Level
    The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis. Dark humor. I love it.

Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 242505152