Reading Northanger Abbey once again because why not

2. Back To Top    #352
    Status

Walking along the lonely street of dreams
    Threads
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Level
    I just started Bitter End by Christine Kling.

3. Back To Top    #353
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Level
    Just re-reading a book I can get finished quickly - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - to give me something easy to read until I get my greedy hands on Queen of Shadows by Sarah J Maas - fourth book in the Throne of Glass series. Comes out September 1

4. Back To Top    #354
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Reading The Book of Aron. It's about witnessing the Holocaust through the eyes of a small boy.

5. Back To Top    #355
    Status
    At the bottom of the sea with the Shachonne ship
    Threads
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Level
    Been reading tons since wheedling a Kindle out of my dad as an early birthday/Christmas present.

The Anatomy of Motive: The FBI's Legendary Mindhunter Explores the Key to Understanding and Catching Violent Criminals [John Douglas and Mark Olshaker]

The preface/introduction was interesting enough that I decided to buy it. Relatively quick read, think I finished it in about two 3-hour spurts. This is a book focused on homicide; and it's a good overview for people who don't know much about it. What I found most interesting were the three categories of "multiple" killers (mass, spree and serial), the idea that people can be especially psychologically vulnerable to becoming violent at certain parts of their life (mid-late 20s and then early-mid 40s), as well as his emphasis on taking how a crime was perpetrated, determining a set of potential motives (the why) and then figuring out who did it based on those two factors.

I didn't particularly like his tone when talking about the people he was writing about (lots of "losers", "cowards", etc., thrown about) and he seemed pretty set in his ideas of who could actually commit such crimes (white men, which I suppose the statistics show). I also didn't like his focus on the sexual nature of crimes, but after getting half-way through another book (Serial Killers: the Method and Madness of Monsters which is much more interesting and thorough), I realized that there is actually a recognized category of homicide that is sexually-based, so that's one critique out the window.

The only thing I really enjoyed about the book was when I heard about the shooting of those two reporters in VA (the killer looks very familiar), almost all of the pertinent details (the guy's age, his constant "victimhood" and complaints about perceived slights, his history of poor behavior, the 23-page fax days before the incident, his filming of the incident, his ultimate suicide, etc.) were all in line with how a mass murderer would behave. So, the book's got that going for it. Either way, I returned it. Didn't like it enough to keep it.

The rest of this post is on trashy romance/chicklit, so feel free to ignore.

Confessions of a Shopaholic [Sophia Kinsella]

Did not finish. Got about a third of the way in before I returned it. Usually I enjoy really fluffy chicklit books, especially those with a focus on glamorous lifestyles and fashion, but the character in this book was incredibly annoying. She's got a spending problem, has massive amounts of debt, and yet doesn't have the self-control/awareness to figure out how to stop spending and make up a freaking budget. It was like reading about a teenager with her first credit card, making up reasons why she just *has* to have this $200 scarf, except this woman's got to be in her mid-late 20's. Irritating.

First Comes Marriage [Mary Balogh]

I'm pretty sure I've read Mary Balogh before and enjoyed her books, so this one was an incredible disappointment. Also didn't finish it; got about ten pages in before I had to stop. I guess it's been the slew of fiction-writing books that I've been reading lately, but the fact that she was telling so much instead of showing bothered the hell out of me. I don't need a paragraphs of description on the physical appearances and natures of three characters, and how respective people react to them. I'll keep that to Little Women and books published *before* the late 20th century, thank you very much.

Beauty in Black [Nicole Byrd]

Did finish this one. I enjoyed it, although I spent about a good portion of the book wondering when the requisite love-making scene would come in. I liked the fact that the hero is actually physically disfigured and thus earns his beastly nickname, as well as emotionally fucked up from his childhood, and not in that "oh he's so brooding" way, but in a realistic way. I enjoyed learning that the heroine wanted to travel the world, and not because it's an original character quality (it's not), but because I learned about it mid-way, instead of having it shoved in my face within the first couple pages. Byrd knows how to write and reveal characters, and conceive of a rather surprising plot (many times I thought "no way"), and I thought the romance between the hero and heroine was very touching. The ending was incredibly schmalty.

On deck:

Gone with the Wind (re-read; 60% of the way through)
    Serial Killers: the Method and Madness of Monsters (60% of the way through)
    Thank You, Madagascar: Conservation Diaries of Alison Jolly (60% of the way through)

Very excited to read:
    Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future

6. Back To Top    #356
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Level
    Right now I'm reading POST+IVE by David Wellington. Post apocalyptic tale about the aftermath of a zombie virus. "Positives" are people who were potentially exposed to the virus - all have a tattoo of a plus sign on their hands. The virus can remain dormant for 20 years. As always it's about human survival, zombie virus a metaphor for anything that could cause the destruction of society. Newest novel by this author (2015). I've not read any of his other novels.

So far a 'thumbs up'.

ETA: Turned out to be a really good book. One of the positives (the hero) wanted to make a new life for himself in the Western part of the US. He and a rag tag bag of people do their best. I was pulling for them all the way.

7. Back To Top    #357
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    527 Post(s)
    Level
    I'm in the process of re-reading the In Death series by J.D. Robb - aka Nora Roberts. There are around 50 books in the series so far, so it will take me a while - but hopefully, I'll be finished in time for the new one coming out later this year. It's a series of murder mysteries focusing on Lieutenant Eve Dallas - a homicide detective in NY circa 2058-2060. The books follow a chronological order for Eve's life, the high profile cases she gets assigned to, and her every growing number of friends and surrogate family.

8. Back To Top    #358
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Level
    Just started Queen of Shadows by Sarah J Maas - friggin finally

9. Back To Top    #359
    Status

Walking along the lonely street of dreams
    Threads
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Level
    I just started The Fixer by Joseph Finder.

10. Back To Top    #360
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Level
    The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. Awesome book.

Page 36 of 53 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast