The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

2. Back To Top    #412
    Status
    The Misfortune Teller Witchy Woman's Avatar

Threads
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Level
    Dark Days - D. Randall Blythe (Singer from Lamb of God)

3. Back To Top    #413
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Level
    I'm about to start reading another novel by one of my favorite horror writers. His name is Jack Ketchum.
    The book is called "Cover" and it's about a Vietnam Vet with PTSD.
    One day he snaps and believes he is back in the war and starts to target innocent young kids who are out camping.

4. Back To Top    #414
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Level
    @zNaptablook, so what are you reading? I have wanted to read Art Caplan's, "Smart Mice, Not So Smart People" but instead I started re-reading Pablo Neruda bc I couldn't concentrate.

5. Back To Top    #415
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Level
    @beethedead Ooh I haven't heard of that book before, however I have read quite a few volumes of Pablo Neruda's poetry. They are some of the most beautiful lines I've ever read. I happen to read a lot of poetry (as well as write poetry), especially French poets such as Arthur Rimbaud, Charles Baudelaire, Rene Char, and Guillaume Apollinaire just to name a few favorites. I can always dig a good Ernest Hemmingway novel but my favorite fiction author would have to be Albert Camus, his novels, plays, and short stories are breathtaking to me. 'The Stranger, The Plague, Exile And the Kingdom, The Fall, and The First Man are excellent, thought provoking pieces full of penetrating insights. I've also read, and still need to read the final book, The Sword Of Truth series by Terry Goodkind, which at the moment is my favorite fantasy series. At the moment though I confess I haven't been reading as much, the past six months have been horrible to me health wise and financially so my time has been sucked into other ordeals but I'm slowly getting back into the swing of things. I want finish reading The Wheel Of Time series by Robert Jordan (on book four), and begin reading some religious/philosophical/political books I have marked on my 'up and coming reading list'.

6. Back To Top    #416
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Level
    Thoroughly enjoying Lanark by Alasdair Gray at the moment. It just gets weirder and weirder. I usually rip through books in a matter of days but I've been taking my time on this one ... months actually; I'll leave it and come back to it again. I'm living in Glasgow atm, and the book's set in a dystopian sci-fi Glasgow that's actually so fitting. Guess I'm taking so long reading it so it coincides with as much of my time in this city as possible, if that makes sense.

7. Back To Top    #417
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Level
    @zNapstablook, did you find the Viggo movie, yet? I remember what it's called "Far from Men". I have mixed opinions about the movie as it compares with "The Guest". Let's talk both. Where to start? There is so much about the book that resonates with me. Mostly, it's the moral dilemma of choice (human agency) and purpose. Who is free, who isn't, how to be certain or live with uncertainty. That's where I start. Good for you? Or do you see the themes differently?

8. Back To Top    #418
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    365 Post(s)
    Level
    Between Heaven and Earth: A guide to Chinese medicine. By Harriet Beinfeld, Efrem Korngold

9. Back To Top    #419
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by beethedead View Post
    @zNapstablook, did you find the Viggo movie, yet? I remember what it's called "Far from Men". I have mixed opinions about the movie as it compares with "The Guest". Let's talk both. Where to start? There is so much about the book that resonates with me. Mostly, it's the moral dilemma of choice (human agency) and purpose. Who is free, who isn't, how to be certain or live with uncertainty. That's where I start. Good for you? Or do you see the themes differently?
    I did indeed find it this morning! I'm probably going to watch it either tonight or tomorrow afternoon, am very excited for it. I agree with those themes, there is a huge moral dilemma in the book. What exactly is freedom in Camus' eyes, and what do we do when faced with the realization of this absurd world? As a student of Camus philosophy reading his non-fiction works really added another dimension to my understanding of the story.

Spoiler Spoiler:

The Absurd is normally where I try to connect most of the themes as it seems like it holds all of the threads together nicely.

10. Back To Top    #420
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Level
    What you said under the spoiler tag is precisely why I said that this work haunts me. Not to mix authors, but in James Baldwin's "Another Country" a central character says " you have to tell the truth about the life you have, if you are going to stand a chance at having the life you want". Daru is a person who ultimately must decide, he has to live without certitude that what he did was the correct option at the time he made the decision. The theme of freedom, is another area that fascinates me. The Arab had no choices just a cultural parallel . Again, who has choice. Not the Arab for sure. Another writer, Amos Oz explores the schizophrenic nature of the Israel/Palestine conflict, it is familiar, cross referenced territory in these Camus works.

Page 42 of 53 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast