1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    709 Post(s)
    Level

Treme: A Love Song and tribute to New Orleans, & all who love it, and Katrina

Treme is a terrific HBO series- David Simon, Wendell Pierce & Clarke Peters (The Wire), Rob Brown, Steve Zahn, Danai Gurira!, David Morse, Melissa George, John Goodman, Jon Seda, Steve Earle, and so many more. If you love New Orleans, good music, great food, excellent stories and more, Treme is worth watching.

Treme follows the cycles for a group of people in New Orleans starting after Hurricane Katrina devastated the city. Treme's short 4th season will close out the series- well worth catching seasons 1-3 on HBO before the final episodes air.

Here's a preview of what to expect in season 4.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    709 Post(s)
    Level
    New trailer for the final episodes- I will hate when this is over

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    709 Post(s)
    Level
    I watched the series finale of Treme yesterday and it was everything I hoped it would be and so much more. Dr. John, John Boutte's cover of "Do You know what it means to miss New Orleans?", Susan Cowsill, Lucia Micarelli and others performing or having their music in the finale- perfect.

Seeing the journeys of all the characters was so well-written and acted in this tiny show no one watched-

*Annie going from abused girlfriend/stifled artist to independent strong woman and developed musician/songwriter/singer- I think Harley would have been proud of her every step of the way. Loved seeing Annie finally refusing to compromise but understand that she would have to be flexible on the less important aspects of career building that Marvin knew how to accomplish for her. Seeing that she had made her peace with Sonny was also great.

*LaDonna, staying single, becoming a better mother and working with Larry and Antoine Batiste to raise her children after Big Chief Albert Lambreaux's passing. She overcame so many ugly events after Katrina, yet remained strong and true to herself.

*Antoine- finding a life he loved as a teacher and mentor to all of New Orleans' music students, and then getting the call from Dr. John for a gig. Wendell Pierce did such a great job showing us Antoine's love for life and his growth over the season from the man who was never honest with himself but who became a man he was proud to be, with a life that he made work as a teacher, musician, husband, father and friend.

*DJ Davis- wow, such an incredible journey from season 1 and Steve Zahn was amazing as this wonderful, irritating, Peter Pan type man with a million interests but no real direction. I loved the point where he returned to the pothole barricade he set up earlier in season 4 and found it covered in Mardi Gras beads and tribute- that say so much that a temporary "fix" on the roads that the city never addressed was turned into something beautiful and a smart bit of street art while it remained, broken.

*Sonny- Back to playing music in the square but loving it with his wife supporting him every inch of the way. His journey from drug addict and PSTD-stricken survivor/rescuer of those trapped during the storm, was so ugly yet glorious to see. Sonny really made something of himself after the storm and also became a man he felt proud to be. He turned his love for music into as successful, happy, sustainable life and I loved finally liking his character and seeing him with Lihn and her family of Vietnamese shrimp fisherman..

Delmond Lambreaux: Rob Brown is such an amazing actor and I loved his scenes with Danai Gurira as his New York girlfriend in Seasons 1-2. I got teary when he refused to walk as the Big Chief for the Guardians of The Flame, knowing that he had chosen rightly since his future was still undecided, albeit so happy with the arrival of his daughter after Albert's death. Loved that he gave the honor to the Chief's second in command which felt right and true to the story.

*Albert "Big Chief" Lambreaux: Clarke Peters played the hell out of this role- loved his performance even better than his work in "The Wire"! Albert's journey from the pilot in which he returns after the storm to rebuild homes, lead the Guardians Of the Flame tribe of Indians until his death was poignant, full of laughter and simply Emmy-worthy IMO. I liked the character so much but also liked the reminder that Life, like New Orleans, endures and moves on to the next generations who carry out all the traditions and uphold the culture.

More later- if you have not watched this gem of a show from the creators of The Wire and other series, I hope you will.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Level
    Thanks for creating this topic. Loved Treme and really wish it had garnered more of a fanbase. I''m not surprised though; more often than not, the best shows turn out to be the most underlooked (ex: Rubicon, Men of a Certain Age, Southland, etc)

Absolutely loved the characters - one of the main strengths this show had above most others. They were just so quirky, lovable, and memorable. My favorites were probably Toni and Janette (both are probably among the strongest portrayals of women on tv nowadays)

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    709 Post(s)
    Level
    Yes and I liked Davi Jay's Robinette, working with Nelson Hidalgo and part of Chief Albert's Guardians Of The Flame. Wonder how his TWD character of Tony will compare?

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripley View Post
    Yes and I liked Davi Jay's Robinette, working with Nelson Hidalgo and part of Chief Albert's Guardians Of The Flame. Wonder how his TWD character of Tony will compare?
    Ironically enough, seeing Davi Jay on there and examining his acting talents (to prepare for him on TWD) was one of the main things I was excited about before re-watching the series a few weeks ago!

He really is a solid actor.