Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. Back To Top    #41
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by meesha1971 View Post
    I'm starting to wonder if Gimple is trying to pretend that season 3 never happened. A lot of things in the first half of season 4 seem to be a reboot - Carol and the governor's arc are the most obvious to me.
    You know the exact same thought crossed my mind when they tried to sell Beth as closed off and flippant about death. If they'd gone directly from Season 2, when she was trying to commit suicide, to Season 4, where she's being told her boyfriend is dead then I might have bought it. But in Season 3, we got to see her worried about Maggie, taking care of a baby and angry with Daryl for skipping out on them (I mean, if she's affected by someone being alive and walking away, you expect me to believe she's going to just shrug her shoulders when her bf is killed ).

As for your post William, I did not dislike it either. There's been very few posts I've disliked on the board actually because I try give everyone the respect of having their own opinion, whether I agree with it or not. I hope you realize that in my answer to your opening post, I was not trying to attack you or disrespect your opinion in any way (which I believe you did as your response to me didn't feel defensive in the least, to me at least). I'm an avid Carol fan, and it probably has a lot to do with the fact that I'm a strong, outspoken independent female. So I like seeing that in her, too.

I love the fact that Carol is out on her own and away from Rick's group. Just wish we could see it..

2. Back To Top    #42
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by william_1995 View Post
    Yeah I agree it's just down to their own views on the show, characters, race etc. I'm not aiming to change their opinions as they are there's and they have stood up for them the same way I have for mine.
    i can't talk about other fandoms on other shows as this is the only show forum I belong to so my opinion on them would be out of place lol.
    Look man, you are just going to have to harden up and deal with the fact that you are going to get dislikes, especially since you went out of your way to write a several paragraph screed on why you don't like Carol to a bunch of Carol fans. It's like running full tilt through a cow pasture and acting surprised and butt hurt when you get a cow poop on your shoes. Frankly, if you didn't want the attention, you'd never have posted here. There a numerous other forums you could go on but you chose this forum very specifically. Don't act surprised that this generated discussion and got you a few dislikes. It's not like it'll cost you a job or anything.

3. Back To Top    #43
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Level
    Yep Meesha everyone knows where I stand on the Carol situation (pretty much she was justified to do what she did but hiding until caught means she expressed guilt and Rick the lawman was right to cut her loose).

But you are exactly right that Spoil the dead (not using that abbreviation again haha) has a good vibe and I would hate for it to degenerate into shipping wars. Good thing TWD isn't a romantic show compared to say a Glee or a Buffy even.

And yes I agree Gimple is having to reboot the Prison storyline because the last guy decided to suck it up. Though the Merle situation was actually pretty well done.

If you somehow ignore the Michonne/Andrea situation

Seed/Sick >>> Season 4 >> Rest of Season 3 >>> Governor Stand alones >>> Too Far gone plays almost as a good narrative and how the arc should have been written.

4. Back To Top    #44
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Level
    I understand your stance on Carol. I respect it.

That being said, Carol was dominated and abused by a nightmare husband and was thrust right into the ZA with no break. Loses her only family member in Sophia. Carol's husband was no Abraham, but don't be mistaken that Carol and her daughter were probably treated very similarly to the way Abraham's family was, if not in direct parallel than at very least in the same terror.

That doesn't excuse Carol from mistakes she had control over. You have to ask yourself -can someone who otherwise might have thought herself completely useless and just run into a field of zombies like Abraham's family and died, Carol by now has saved far more lives deep into the future than it even matters at all that she might be the biggest mess in your eyes that you have ever seen. Bare minimum, Carol deserves regard for not just completely breaking down and doing something so dangerous that it compromised the group.

You don't like her personality? Ok. Rick's a strong enough man to handle Carol's grief. Are you?

5. Back To Top    #45
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyHypothalamus View Post
    I understand your stance on Carol. I respect it.

That being said, Carol was dominated and abused by a nightmare husband and was thrust right into the ZA with no break. Loses her only family member in Sophia. Carol's husband was no Abraham, but don't be mistaken that Carol and her daughter were probably treated very similarly to the way Abraham's family was, if not in direct parallel than at very least in the same terror.

That doesn't excuse Carol from mistakes she had control over. You have to ask yourself -can someone who otherwise might have thought herself completely useless and just run into a field of zombies like Abraham's family and died, Carol by now has saved far more lives deep into the future than it even matters at all that she might be the biggest mess in your eyes that you have ever seen. Bare minimum, Carol deserves regard for not just completely breaking down and doing something so dangerous that it compromised the group.

You don't like her personality? Ok. Rick's a strong enough man to handle Carol's grief. Are you?
    Wow, I completley forgot all about this thread.

I get that Carol was a victim of domestic and mental abuse at the hands of Ed and that shattered her confidence, that was shown up until about half way through season 3, after that she seemed to snap out of it and become more of a self sustaining person who didnt need to rely on other people to survive, something that was proved in her actions in season 4, killing Karen and David and paying the consequences for that and getting banned from the prison. So yeah sure shes matured a lot from her abuse via Ed.

That being said (and im not saying this because i'm a fan of Abraham) but I dont really understand your point there, whether that be because you dont know about Abrahams family or me just not fully understanding your point but i'll just say that Abraham never abused his family, quite the opposite, he loved his family very mch so and killed to keep them safe which is something that Ed never done for Carol and Sophia, with Abraham's family while they were held up in the grocery store his wife and daughter were raped by some other people in the grocery store while he and some others went on a supply run, when he returned and found out that is when he lost it and killed the culprits, just to be clear he never abused his family and as I said what youve wrote and what ive read might of just got a bit lost in translation but the way I read it is you think Abraham abused his family?

As you can probably tell this thread was made in 2013 and about the mid season mark for season 4 if my memory serves me right. My opinions of Carol have changed for the record, I'm still not a major fan of hers but I am starting to like the character a bit more then I did, I understand her actions in season 4A, I dont agree with them but I understand why, I'm still not on board with the way she treated Rick in season 2 and 3 and dont think I ever will be but hey thats all in the past and i'm very less vocal on my feelings for Carol compared to what I was prior to making this thread but thats a story for another time.

6. Back To Top    #46
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    621 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Dear Carol fans

This is an open letter expressing my views on Carol - why I don't like her, why I have lost respect for her and why I don't see her coming back into the group. This is all my honest opinion and my aim is to clear a lot of things up regarding my opinion on her.

Before I start everybody that knows me on this forum knows that I don't like Carol - but for the sake of this thread and to save me from having to defend my opinion I want everybody to forget that fact and to try and retain themselves from giving me a 'dislike'. This is my honest opinion on her character in previous seasons and in future ones if she survives into the future. So here it goes:

In the very beginning of the show I didn't mind Carol - I had never read the comics so I didn't know anything about any of the characters and their fates, during the first and second season I actually felt sorry for Carol the fact she was in An abusive relationship with her husband and then losing her daughter and as much as I felt sorry for that's when I started to grow a strong dislike for the character.

In the opening episode for S2 on the highway the group encounter a herd and a walker notices Sophia, she runs into the woods and Rick chases her to help keep her safe - ultimately he did fail. What I felt strongly about was after Rick returned to the highway to find the group he expected for Sophia to be there but she wasn't, Carol instantly blamed Rick which I felt was completely wrong on her behalf: i) Sophia isn't his daughter and yet he still risked his life to help get her back to the group (ii) Rick didn't ask to be the leader of the group in the first place and has no moral obligation to keep anybody in the group safe apart from his family yet he still tries his best to keep them safe (iii) Carol showed no gratitude towards him for trying to help her daughter instead she was angry at him for not finding and returning her daughter. Ok it's understandable she be upset, if I was a parent and something like that happened to my child I would be upset.

After Sophia's death she was inconsolable which again is understandable and she dealt with her grief in her own way but ever since the moment on the highway she regarded Rick as a failure as a leader - she criticised him in the S2 finale and again in the either 3x01 or 3x02 (I can't remember which one) but to be fair to her she did also pay him a compliment by saying that he had done a better job then she thought he would but at the same time as that being a compliment it was also an insult to his leadership ability by voicing her concerns - without seriously acknowledging the fact that he has tried his hardest to keep everybody safe and at this time had found them all what looked to be a safe place to keep away from the walkers.

After being proven wrong by him in S3 she had earned her place on the council in S4, she had early both the groups and Ricks trust and she repays that trust by killing both Karen and David, yes I know they were sick and was a threat to the others but what she did was wrong regardless of her reasons and that trust and strength that she had garnered throughout the first three seasons has completely vanished. She was banished from the group (in my opinion Rick was right to do that). When she returns to the group which no doubt she will I honestly don't she how it'll work, Daryl knows what she did and Daryl is her 'love-interest' even though nothing has happened between the two of them yet I don't think he will be able to trust her her as much as he did, Maggie knows and no doubt Glenn and Beth will know about Carol or will know by the time they all meet up again, Tyreese who is the biggest victim of Carols actions doesn't yet know and when he finds out things will not look good for Carol.

Once she returns nobody in the group will trust her, if ever she is near/with them everybody will look over their shoulders and nobody will look at her the same. The only people that'll look at her with no sense of judgment will be Abraham,Rosita and Eugene when they meet her for the first time as they don't know what she has been through in the past. I can see her following dales storyline from the GN - accidentally getting herself bit or walks out into the forest to pee and she gets kidnapped by the hunters and ultimately dies - a form of indirect suicide if you will purely because she knows she has lost the trust and the love of the people she has worked so hard to protect and the people she calls her family, once everybody finds out she has nothing left she is an outcast in her own family.

Thanks for listening to me vent my opinion on Carol and how I see her storyline playing out, I hope I have t offended and Carol fans by voicing my opinions as it's not my intentions for this thread, it is purely a chance for me to get off my chest and explain why I don't like Carol, why I have lost all respect for her and why I don't see her coming back for her actions. I know I rambled on a lot about Rick (and I didn't mean to do that) but her and Ricks actions in early S2 is why I don't like her and that was the main focus of me explaining why I don't like her.

Anyway thanks for listening to me and allowing me to vent on this subject.

William
    I find it interesting to read old posts and see how things on the show have turn out so differently that what people expected. @Will, I don't know if you still post here. If you do, what is your opinion of Carol now and what do you think about the way things have played out since Carol was reunited with her family?

- - - Updated - - -

Forget my question @Will. I just saw your previous post.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345