Forgot your username?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Level

An open letter expressing my views on Carol and her actions (season 1 - season 4)

Dear Carol fans

This is an open letter expressing my views on Carol - why I don't like her, why I have lost respect for her and why I don't see her coming back into the group. This is all my honest opinion and my aim is to clear a lot of things up regarding my opinion on her.

Before I start everybody that knows me on this forum knows that I don't like Carol - but for the sake of this thread and to save me from having to defend my opinion I want everybody to forget that fact and to try and retain themselves from giving me a 'dislike'. This is my honest opinion on her character in previous seasons and in future ones if she survives into the future. So here it goes:

In the very beginning of the show I didn't mind Carol - I had never read the comics so I didn't know anything about any of the characters and their fates, during the first and second season I actually felt sorry for Carol the fact she was in An abusive relationship with her husband and then losing her daughter and as much as I felt sorry for that's when I started to grow a strong dislike for the character.

In the opening episode for S2 on the highway the group encounter a herd and a walker notices Sophia, she runs into the woods and Rick chases her to help keep her safe - ultimately he did fail. What I felt strongly about was after Rick returned to the highway to find the group he expected for Sophia to be there but she wasn't, Carol instantly blamed Rick which I felt was completely wrong on her behalf: i) Sophia isn't his daughter and yet he still risked his life to help get her back to the group (ii) Rick didn't ask to be the leader of the group in the first place and has no moral obligation to keep anybody in the group safe apart from his family yet he still tries his best to keep them safe (iii) Carol showed no gratitude towards him for trying to help her daughter instead she was angry at him for not finding and returning her daughter. Ok it's understandable she be upset, if I was a parent and something like that happened to my child I would be upset.

After Sophia's death she was inconsolable which again is understandable and she dealt with her grief in her own way but ever since the moment on the highway she regarded Rick as a failure as a leader - she criticised him in the S2 finale and again in the either 3x01 or 3x02 (I can't remember which one) but to be fair to her she did also pay him a compliment by saying that he had done a better job then she thought he would but at the same time as that being a compliment it was also an insult to his leadership ability by voicing her concerns - without seriously acknowledging the fact that he has tried his hardest to keep everybody safe and at this time had found them all what looked to be a safe place to keep away from the walkers.

After being proven wrong by him in S3 she had earned her place on the council in S4, she had early both the groups and Ricks trust and she repays that trust by killing both Karen and David, yes I know they were sick and was a threat to the others but what she did was wrong regardless of her reasons and that trust and strength that she had garnered throughout the first three seasons has completely vanished. She was banished from the group (in my opinion Rick was right to do that). When she returns to the group which no doubt she will I honestly don't she how it'll work, Daryl knows what she did and Daryl is her 'love-interest' even though nothing has happened between the two of them yet I don't think he will be able to trust her her as much as he did, Maggie knows and no doubt Glenn and Beth will know about Carol or will know by the time they all meet up again, Tyreese who is the biggest victim of Carols actions doesn't yet know and when he finds out things will not look good for Carol.

Once she returns nobody in the group will trust her, if ever she is near/with them everybody will look over their shoulders and nobody will look at her the same. The only people that'll look at her with no sense of judgment will be Abraham,Rosita and Eugene when they meet her for the first time as they don't know what she has been through in the past. I can see her following dales storyline from the GN - accidentally getting herself bit or walks out into the forest to pee and she gets kidnapped by the hunters and ultimately dies - a form of indirect suicide if you will purely because she knows she has lost the trust and the love of the people she has worked so hard to protect and the people she calls her family, once everybody finds out she has nothing left she is an outcast in her own family.

Thanks for listening to me vent my opinion on Carol and how I see her storyline playing out, I hope I have t offended and Carol fans by voicing my opinions as it's not my intentions for this thread, it is purely a chance for me to get off my chest and explain why I don't like Carol, why I have lost all respect for her and why I don't see her coming back for her actions. I know I rambled on a lot about Rick (and I didn't mean to do that) but her and Ricks actions in early S2 is why I don't like her and that was the main focus of me explaining why I don't like her.

Anyway thanks for listening to me and allowing me to vent on this subject.

William

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Level
    We've gone toe to toe regarding this so all I'm going to say is you are absolutely entitled to your opinion. And I'm absolutely entitled to think said opinion is typical of a Carol hater and I have no desire to debate something neither of us will bend about. I think she's absolutely redeemable, she's done things similar to what your old pal Rick has done but because he's a man and it's all about man pain, she doesn't get to come back. I thought that was what Hershel stood for-coming back from the things they have done. I think she is a very grey character and it makes her fascinating.

I hope she outlives many of those dullards left at the prison (I'm looking at you, tiny songstress) because she is as extraordinary as Merle. Do you have the same opinion as Merle? So, we are at what we call an impasse. Agree to disagree, I guess is all I have to say.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    621 Post(s)
    Level
    Hit the nail on the head there Muthawalker.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    1743 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Muthawalker View Post
    We've gone toe to toe regarding this so all I'm going to say is you are absolutely entitled to your opinion. And I'm absolutely entitled to think said opinion is typical of a Carol hater and I have no desire to debate something neither of us will bend about. I think she's absolutely redeemable, she's done things similar to what your old pal Rick has done but because he's a man and it's all about man pain, she doesn't get to come back. I thought that was what Hershel stood for-coming back from the things they have done. I think she is a very grey character and it makes her fascinating.

I hope she outlives many of those dullards left at the prison (I'm looking at you, tiny songstress) because she is as extraordinary as Merle. Do you have the same opinion as Merle? So, we are at what we call an impasse. Agree to disagree, I guess is all I have to say.
    I love you

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Thanks for taking the time to share your views, William. I don't think the active Carol fans on here will be offended (I wasn't). We're all entitled to our opinions and I'm glad you can openly and respectfully share them.

Muthawalker brings up a good point. Do you (and other fans who do not like Carol) feel the same way about other characters who've made mistakes like she has? Merle is a good example. If you see them differently, what is the deciding factor?

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    709 Post(s)
    Level
    OK, y'all know how this works- attack discussion points and not one another, please. It is fine to agree to disagree and move on as much as I dislike that phrase. PM me with questions.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by william_1995 View Post
    Dear Carol fans

This is an open letter expressing my views on Carol - why I don't like her, why I have lost respect for her and why I don't see her coming back into the group. This is all my honest opinion and my aim is to clear a lot of things up regarding my opinion on her.

Before I start everybody that knows me on this forum knows that I don't like Carol - but for the sake of this thread and to save me from having to defend my opinion I want everybody to forget that fact and to try and retain themselves from giving me a 'dislike'. This is my honest opinion on her character in previous seasons and in future ones if she survives into the future. So here it goes:

In the very beginning of the show I didn't mind Carol - I had never read the comics so I didn't know anything about any of the characters and their fates, during the first and second season I actually felt sorry for Carol the fact she was in An abusive relationship with her husband and then losing her daughter and as much as I felt sorry for that's when I started to grow a strong dislike for the character.

In the opening episode for S2 on the highway the group encounter a herd and a walker notices Sophia, she runs into the woods and Rick chases her to help keep her safe - ultimately he did fail. What I felt strongly about was after Rick returned to the highway to find the group he expected for Sophia to be there but she wasn't, Carol instantly blamed Rick which I felt was completely wrong on her behalf: i) Sophia isn't his daughter and yet he still risked his life to help get her back to the group (ii) Rick didn't ask to be the leader of the group in the first place and has no moral obligation to keep anybody in the group safe apart from his family yet he still tries his best to keep them safe (iii) Carol showed no gratitude towards him for trying to help her daughter instead she was angry at him for not finding and returning her daughter. Ok it's understandable she be upset, if I was a parent and something like that happened to my child I would be upset.

After Sophia's death she was inconsolable which again is understandable and she dealt with her grief in her own way but ever since the moment on the highway she regarded Rick as a failure as a leader - she criticised him in the S2 finale and again in the either 3x01 or 3x02 (I can't remember which one) but to be fair to her she did also pay him a compliment by saying that he had done a better job then she thought he would but at the same time as that being a compliment it was also an insult to his leadership ability by voicing her concerns - without seriously acknowledging the fact that he has tried his hardest to keep everybody safe and at this time had found them all what looked to be a safe place to keep away from the walkers.

After being proven wrong by him in S3 she had earned her place on the council in S4, she had early both the groups and Ricks trust and she repays that trust by killing both Karen and David, yes I know they were sick and was a threat to the others but what she did was wrong regardless of her reasons and that trust and strength that she had garnered throughout the first three seasons has completely vanished. She was banished from the group (in my opinion Rick was right to do that). When she returns to the group which no doubt she will I honestly don't she how it'll work, Daryl knows what she did and Daryl is her 'love-interest' even though nothing has happened between the two of them yet I don't think he will be able to trust her her as much as he did, Maggie knows and no doubt Glenn and Beth will know about Carol or will know by the time they all meet up again, Tyreese who is the biggest victim of Carols actions doesn't yet know and when he finds out things will not look good for Carol.

Once she returns nobody in the group will trust her, if ever she is near/with them everybody will look over their shoulders and nobody will look at her the same. The only people that'll look at her with no sense of judgment will be Abraham,Rosita and Eugene when they meet her for the first time as they don't know what she has been through in the past. I can see her following dales storyline from the GN - accidentally getting herself bit or walks out into the forest to pee and she gets kidnapped by the hunters and ultimately dies - a form of indirect suicide if you will purely because she knows she has lost the trust and the love of the people she has worked so hard to protect and the people she calls her family, once everybody finds out she has nothing left she is an outcast in her own family.

Thanks for listening to me vent my opinion on Carol and how I see her storyline playing out, I hope I have t offended and Carol fans by voicing my opinions as it's not my intentions for this thread, it is purely a chance for me to get off my chest and explain why I don't like Carol, why I have lost all respect for her and why I don't see her coming back for her actions. I know I rambled on a lot about Rick (and I didn't mean to do that) but her and Ricks actions in early S2 is why I don't like her and that was the main focus of me explaining why I don't like her.

Anyway thanks for listening to me and allowing me to vent on this subject.

William
    while I disagree with you about Carol (obviously) thank you for taking the time to share you views and for posting them on a different thread. I've often wondered why some dislike her so much, just as they have wondered why I love the hell out of her.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Level
    I don't like Carol either. Never have. If/when she comes back and is redeemed or not, I still won't like her.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Crotch Grabber baroness_strange's Avatar
    Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Level
    Is this just meant to be a preventive action, Ripley because I couldn't really locate any 'attacking' in the posts above (from either parties).
    I'm confused (way too confused today haha)

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Level
    Ya'll raise a very good point about the double standards...but at the end of the day....It all comes down to crappy writing.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast