Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Level

Did they ever explain...

I haven't seen season 2 in a fair while and my memory of it is a bit faded so I don't know what episode it's in but was it ever said how the 'well walker' ended up in the well?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    560 Post(s)
    Level
    It was from "Cherokee Rose". There were planks covering the opening to the well which had been broken through. The broken pieces surrounded the walker in the water at the bottom of the well. We were just to infer he wandered on top and broke through. There wasn't a specific reference to it though. And thanks for giving me an excuse to go back and rewatch it. lol

3. Back To Top    #3
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Level
    "Good thing we didn't do something stupid like shoot it" - Theodore Douglas. And I know one of the premise's of the show and the GN is the concept of the zombie was never big in universe but has anyone noticed how Genre savvy our group was until Rick revealed they were all infected? using body armor/face protection, the panic over the well walker.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by rtr2010 View Post
    "Good thing we didn't do something stupid like shoot it" - Theodore Douglas. And I know one of the premise's of the show and the GN is the concept of the zombie was never big in universe but has anyone noticed how Genre savvy our group was until Rick revealed they were all infected? using body armor/face protection, the panic over the well walker.
    First that well walker was one of the main reasons I hated this episode. And no I didn't realize their genre saviness up until this point.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    ...and the look on T's face when the bottom half fell back in. Looked like, "Gee, I wish I could be smart like y'all."

6. Back To Top    #6
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by melissa78 View Post
    ...and the look on T's face when the bottom half fell back in. Looked like, "Gee, I wish I could be smart like y'all."
    White people.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by rtr2010 View Post
    You mean they shouldn't have been so smart about it? It makes sense to me that they were savvy about it. They were months in by that time and knew that if the walker bit them they'd die from the fever and turn.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaphur View Post
    You mean they shouldn't have been so smart about it? It makes sense to me that they were savvy about it. They were months in by that time and knew that if the walker bit them they'd die from the fever and turn.
    No I mean Kirkman has made a point since the GN came out to say in the universe of the Walking Dead, the Zombie never became a part of pop culture. Hence Walker, Biter, Lame Brain, etc. But that does not explain things like Rick knowing to automatically headshot Bicycle Walker/Stuffed animal little girl walker, T and Morales improvised martial arts body armor (and later non use of it). Other things like being careful to "check if someone is bit", avoidance of getting the blood in your mucous membranes (something also avoided much later). It is like Darabont went against Kirkman in making everyone explicitly "genre savvy". Granted you are right other than Rick they had been surviving for months on trial and error so they developed their own genre savvyness. Hell we encountered Hershels group under Darabont and they were genre savvy despite being isolated on a farm. See Maggie knowing to target the head with bat/Otis going straight for head shots when killing walkers at the school.

But what is funny is that once Darabont was when the group itself lost a lot of their genre savviness.

It wasn't until Mazzara/Gimple that we begin to encounter new characters who were not specifically genre savvy. I think that was Kirkman's influence. The well walker situation would never happen under Mazzara/Gimple. It wasn't until their episodes specifically Nebraska (that Mazzara wrote as well) and the meeting of Dave/Tony/Randall that we met a group of individuals that weren't genre savvy. Then the very next episode (that Gimple wrote btw) we got our very first hints at all that Walkers turned without being bit. (the Mert County deputy walkers). Then Randall. And of course the big end of the season reveal that we were all infected. Hell Andrea was alive for months and didn't know this. Rick didn't even act like he "knew" from context clues until Mazzara took over and his keeping his gun on Tony after shooting him.

I don't think that was what Jenner told Rick under Darabont's plan. I think it was the location of a survivor colony (perhaps what eventually became Terminus or in Darabont's mind the foreshadowing to Alexandria). Hence the "conflict" in the beginning of season 2 between Shane/Rick over going to Benning that also disappeared with Darabont.

Darabont left for many reasons one was a conflict with Kirkman over the direction of the show. I think Darabont originally intended to keep the story as a complete "remix" of the comic. Hence T-dog was his Tyreese, Herschel was more like-able, the barn story, the CDC itself. I think he also intended for the characters to be genre savvy without us knowing why they are. And he seemed to have nothing to do with the we are all infected angle. He seems to be playing the Zombie fiction a lot straighter than Kirkman who wants the GN on screen. (and a lot of the fans want). I think Darabont (who hated Georgia) wanted to "move on". Now the story probably won't move from Georgia (with Alexandria apparently being remixed to Terminus) because of practicalities.

Myself I prefer the middle of the road (because of the conflicts that is what we have anyway). Big and good stuff from the comic should be kept, but at times should be remixed to keep us guessing, and at times they should go in whole new directions. Basically "history does not repeat itself but it often rhymes." is my preferred approach to adaption of the GN to show.

- - - Updated - - -

Which of course leads to my "where is the GN/show ultimately going" hypothesis. GN Rick survived months in a dank hospital wound with a shotgun wound, his hand getting cut off, getting show twice, all kinds of psychological trauma, having himself beat nearly to death several times, and having Lori as a wife. TV Rick has survived similar long odds except keeping his hand (instead a severe sprain). All this without modern medical care. And poor Carl has survived a lot of shit as well in both the TV/GN. I think Kirkman has been hinting a long time that Rick/Carl carry genetic immunity just because of the sheer amount of stuff they have went through. Judith of course being Shane's carries no such immunity.

That may have been what Jenner was telling Rick under Darabont. Because I am sure Kirkman and him discussed where the GN was "going" when Darabont signed on. Kirkman may have decided to kick the can down the road when he ultimately came up with the original idea of All Out War as a a large multi year concept (about the time Darabont left the show he was beginning to write the first of All out war). And he may decide to ultimately kill Rick at the end of it. So hence the changing of the "we are all infected, rick and carl are messiah figures" arc.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Level
    Just want to tell you, in German sync Zack really refers to the biters as "Zombies", I almoat lost my shit about that, but no idea if that was a blooper or intended, never went back to watch it original again.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Level
    Definitely lazy translation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast