Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
  1. Back To Top    #51
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    527 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jamrock89 View Post
    Exactly. My issue is not with Maggie trying to find Glen, my issue is that in her quest to find Glen she has no memory of her kid sister. If I had not previously watched the Walking Dead my first thought would be that Maggie has no other family except Glen. Even if she believes Beth to be dead there are ways they could have shown her having a 5 second meltdown and then pulling herself back together for what she has to do. They watched their father get brutally killed and Beth is her baby sister who she has known all her life. She should at least be torn in some way because she is searching for her husband. but she also can't find her sister.

Yeah, it is also pretty weird that Beth never mentioned Judith. She was glued to Judith 24/7 more than anyone else. Just careless writing. This is season 4. Mistakes like this should not be made.
    I don't find that weird at all because, in those circumstances, Maggie would be dead herself if she lost her focus to grieve. Even a few seconds could make the difference between living and dying. Grieving is a distraction none of them can afford right now. Beth keeps her hope alive by focusing on the people she believes could have survived. She stopped thinking any of the kids could have survived after they found that massacre by the railroad tracks in episode 10, but she still believes some of the adults could be alive. Maggie keeps her hope alive by focusing on Glenn because he's the only person she has reason to believe is alive right now. She believes he was on that bus because that's where she left him and she saw where the bus went. She found the bus and Glenn was not among the walkers or corpses so she has a solid reason to believe he escaped whatever happened there and is still alive.

When you compare the circumstances each group has faced, I think it's pretty easy to see how the differences allowed some time to grieve that others did not have. Rick and Carl found a house they could hole up in temporarily. Rick was unconscious for over 35 hours, but they were there and safe long enough for both of them to grieve in their own way. Michonne found them and helped Carl with his grief. Daryl and Beth found the cabin where they could hole up for a while and take some time to grieve and talk about what happened.

The others - not so much. Tyreese stayed on the move through the woods with the kids. He didn't even get a chance to sleep because he had to focus on taking care of the kids. When Carol found them, they were told about Terminus and immediately headed towards it on the tracks so they've been on the move this whole time. Glenn has been on the move this whole time as well - even more so because he got hijacked for a 3 hour drive while he was unconscious. He's also with people he just met and is not likely to share his grief with them. Maggie, Sasha, and Bob have spent some time on the open road and some time in the woods, but nothing secure enough that would enable them to let their guard down. Sasha did when she found that warehouse - or whatever that building was - but Maggie isn't allowing herself to think like that. She's using her hope that Glenn is alive as her motivation to keep going right now. That was the conflict between them - Sasha wanted to focus on finding shelter and Maggie wanted to focus on finding Glenn. Both are goals meant to motivate them to keep going, but now they've reached a consensus to focus on the same goal.

I don't see Maggie allowing herself to even think about Beth or anyone else at this point. She can't allow herself to lose focus. The goal of finding Glenn keeps her motivated and that focus keeps her aware of her surroundings and helps her stay alive. They all have to stay alert on the road. They can't think about what they lost or who might be dead while they're exposed and could get attacked. As long as they are on the road - or the tracks - out in the open, grieving is a luxury none of them can afford. Daryl did make that mistake after Beth was taken - he just sat on the road, grieving, and got caught with his pants down by those marauders.

2. Back To Top    #52
    Status

Threads
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta View Post
    I think Maggie's search for Glenn is what will push her to survive. Glenn is her small light and happiness she created in the new world. She has lost her father and does not know where her sister or husband is, but she feels like if she can find Glenn, she can find her hope. It's what keeps HER going. I also believe Hershel lives inside of her and Beth, as well as ALL of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Even if she HAD mentioned Beth, I think people would find fault in her actions to find her husband. I see no reason to believe Maggie does not care about Beth, or not to believe Maggie thinks if she can find Glenn, she can find Beth. Lauren plays her character, I think she knows her best. Maggie VERY much loves her sister, but it's natural to focus on your spouse first. I also believe if the writers knew it would be such a big debate, they may have had her mention Beth. But it's not half the BIG deal fans are making it to be. Just another character flaw to disagree about. I love how flawed and human these characters are.
    Pretty much. It's not productive to waste her time worrying herself sick about finding both Beth and Glenn, harsh as that is, when she could choose the healthier option of keeping some optimism alive in her goal. Yes, Beth is family, but you cannot fault Maggie for finding a source of hope and a stronger purpose in Glenn. There is also no reason to think she's not worried about Beth, just because she hasn't mentioned her sister's name. She could very well share the same fears as Sasha regarding that.

Tyreese did not rebut Lizzie's harsh statement about Sasha - or even stop to say she could be alive or anything - should he be blamed as not caring about his little sister too?

3. Back To Top    #53
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Level
    Filming spoilers leave Beth (possible not sure if she was in costume according to our actors timeline) near Glenn during the finale .

With Beth's kidnapping it would be interesting if Beth ended up findling Glenn and Daryl ended up finding Maggie during the finale.

Now this is pure speculation as we do not know if Beth makes it to the finale- it would be horrendous if Beth and Glenn find a walker Maggie :( . That picture still haunts me. I really hate how Glenn had to have that picture of her and it's still around.

Fingers crossed for a full greene reunion

4. Back To Top    #54
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Level
    Am I the only one who is bored to death by their lovestory? It's so cheesy, lol.

5. Back To Top    #55
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Level
    The question I have is why can't Maggie say, "I have to find Glenn and Beth", and believe that they might be found together? That would make more sense. Why couldn't they be together in her mind? Why not hope to find them both? Is it because Glenn has the magic penis whereby he'll make everything right, once Maggie finds him?

If it were me, and I'd lost more than one family member, I'd be mentioning ALL their names. And focus on trying to find a trace of any or ALL of them.

6. Back To Top    #56
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    527 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
    The question I have is why can't Maggie say, "I have to find Glenn and Beth", and believe that they might be found together? That would make more sense. Why couldn't they be together in her mind? Why not hope to find them both? Is it because Glenn has the magic penis whereby he'll make everything right, once Maggie finds him?

If it were me, and I'd lost more than one family member, I'd be mentioning ALL their names. And focus on trying to find a trace of any or ALL of them.
    Because, out of everyone at the prison, Maggie only has reason to believe that four are alive. Herself, Sasha, Bob, and Glenn. The only reason she's so sure Glenn is alive is the fact that she believes he was on the bus when it left the prison. She knows Beth was not on the bus so thinking about Beth would be giving in to grief because she has no reason to think Beth might be alive right now. Thinking about who might be dead is a distraction none of them can afford.

I'd be doing the same as Maggie. Focusing on the one person I had reason to believe is still alive. I would not even think about anyone who might be dead until I found who I was looking for and/or reached a place where I could be sure I would be safe - even it was just a temporary haven - and could grieve without fear of getting attacked by walkers at any time. Grieving for the dead out in the open simply is not a viable option because it could get them killed.

7. Back To Top    #57
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    709 Post(s)
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jamrock89 View Post
    I mentioned this and I got a whole truckload of hate thrown at me on another forum. Beth was not on the bus, she also didn't find Glen on the bus. Yet she has so much hope that Glen is alive, but shrugs her shoulders about Beth? Maggie has a sudden case of amnesia and forgets that she has a kid sister. No moment to reflect on Beth. Nothing. Even Sasha had a moment reflecting on Tyrese and the situation they are in. No excuse for this. It's just plain silly writing. If she was sane enough to finger paint signs for Glen than she is sane enough to worry about her little sister. She can kill two birds with one stone: Direct signs for Glen and Beth.

Well I have no idea what happened to you elsewhere of course:) I do know from interviews in print, via online video and Talking Dead, that Lauren Cohan has explained numerous times that Maggie has always been concerned about Beth, not just Glenn. Perhaps you missed those? We have some posted in Cast and Crew and also in Spoilers if you have an interest in reading/listening to what Cohan says and why her concerns for Beth have not been given center stage thus far in season 4-B.

Quote Originally Posted by 14darryld View Post
    I agree. I find it hard to believe a real person would only care about finding her husband, and never mention also trying to find her sister.
    I mean Maggie up and left Glenn on the bus, screaming, "Beth! Where's Beth?", and then ran off to find her during the prison battle.
    Now on the road it's just all about Glenn?
    At the very least she could speak of Beth.
    Prioritize. "Sasha, I've got to find Glenn, and also look for Beth."
    Compound sentences, writers-you feel me?
    http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.6080...7&rs=1&pid=1.7

As I noted above, those things do exist and I am certainly not going to hold accountable an actress for the dialogue (Glenn, no mention of Beth) or screen time her character is dictated by writers and show runners, because that would be quite silly, wouldn't it? LOL!

I would so love to be able to dictate what I WANT to see this season as storyline for each and every character on the show- who wouldn't love that chance? And of course, if Gale Anne Hurd or Robert Kirkman ask me what I think should happen or how a character should behave, feel or think, at least I have my answers ready, no?

8. Back To Top    #58
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Level
    I don't know about you but if I got separated in a zombie apocalypse from my significant other and my siblings, I would probably care mostly about my significant other.

It's a complete non-issue.

9. Back To Top    #59
    Status
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Level
    Well I have no idea what happened to you elsewhere of course:) I do know from interviews in print, via online video and Talking Dead, that Lauren Cohan has explained numerous times that Maggie has always been concerned about Beth, not just Glenn. Perhaps you missed those? We have some posted in Cast and Crew and also in Spoilers if you have an interest in reading/listening to what Cohan says and why her concerns for Beth have not been given center stage thus far in season 4-B.
    Thanks for telling me, but I did watch some of the Talking Dead. She said something like Maggie thinks that Beth may be with Glen and she thinks that Glen could have saved others. Her explanation didn't make much sense to me seeing as how Maggie never ever mentions that Beth could be with Glen. I honestly felt bad for the actress because she was put on the spot.

We know that Beth was never with Glen because she never boarded the bus. That is the reason why the bus left without Maggie because she went back to find her. The writers are to blame for this mishap because they could have easily inserted some dialogue where Maggie talks about hoping that Glen and Beth are together. Or as Maggie was finger painting messages for Glen she could have finger painted some for Beth too. I thought the actress did her best to give some feedback, but it didn't satisfy me. My biggest issue is that it feels out of character for Maggie. WE KNOW that Maggie is family oriented. She will fight tooth and nail for her family. She didn't find Glen's body and she didn't find Beth's body. So why she is not fighting for both Glen and Beth, I don't know. I blame the careless writing.
    Last edited by jamrock89; March 13th, 2014 at 03:13 AM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456